[SOLVED] Upgraded to i7-4790, weird temperatures

marioxxx321

Commendable
May 28, 2018
Hello.
So i bought used i7-4790 3.6ghz and im maybe being paranoic but i think that after applying new thermal paste (Kryoanut) and having not stock cooler(Silentium PC Spartan 3 pro) my temperatures are a tad high.
It's summer and its really hot inside and outside usually now, so maybe this situation makes temperatures higher but while idle(only chrome opened) jump from 41-50 degrees and while playing certain games(Witcher 3) temperature rises to 70 degrees and then jumps from 70-83 for a sec, then usually staying at 71-80 degrees.

So my question is - Should i worry or try to send it back and try to get my money back?(i have 14 days warranty) or is everything allright?

Cheers.

Solution
First of all, don't use HWmonitor. It's a poor substitute for HWinfo. Use HWinfo or CoreTEMP if you're going to monitor CPU thermals, unless you're using a Ryzen system in which case I'd recommend you use HWinfo or Ryzen master.

Second, you should NOT move the heatsink. ANY heatsink. The second you move the heat sink, at ALL, the paste job is shot and it needs to be redone. It's a one and done, and then don't touch it kind of thing. If you twist or lift the heatsink, at all, then it needs to be taken back off and done again. It should not be moved.

Third, I highly discourage trying to slather thermal paste all over the top of the CPU or fully cover it using a credit card, or similar methods. Put a blob of paste about equal to half of...
I'd make sure you have the CPU cooler installed correctly. It sounds to me as though it is not mounted properly or you have used too much or too little thermal paste.

Cooler could be too loose, or one side or one corner loose, or backplate not fully tightened before you installed the cooler, bad paste job, lots of things it COULD be.

First thing you might want to try and do after you check to make sure the cooler is mounted correctly AND that you have the cooler profile set properly in the BIOS, is run the Intel processor diagnostic test. See what that says.

Yep--recheck your work for sure. I've noticed my 4790k runs a lot hotter than other 88w processors as even the 100% fan trick I use on smaller heatsinks barely works well enough to keep it cool. (I need to install the upgraded dell heatsink before the thing melts.)

marioxxx321

Commendable
May 28, 2018
I think that the CPU cooler is installed correctly, i actually tried to reinstall it 2 times and correct the thermal paste by spreading it all over the cpu again.
When i try to move around the cooler, it seems like it mounted properly because it doesnt go off after small move, you can hardly move it, below there's picture from the internet how i have it installed and the black circle for mounting used.

View: https://imgur.com/a/0ILxWdL
here is screenshot from HWmonitor

_U6C2264.jpg

chlodzenie-spc-spartan-3-lt-he1012-body-4.png

First of all, don't use HWmonitor. It's a poor substitute for HWinfo. Use HWinfo or CoreTEMP if you're going to monitor CPU thermals, unless you're using a Ryzen system in which case I'd recommend you use HWinfo or Ryzen master.

Second, you should NOT move the heatsink. ANY heatsink. The second you move the heat sink, at ALL, the paste job is shot and it needs to be redone. It's a one and done, and then don't touch it kind of thing. If you twist or lift the heatsink, at all, then it needs to be taken back off and done again. It should not be moved.

Third, I highly discourage trying to slather thermal paste all over the top of the CPU or fully cover it using a credit card, or similar methods. Put a blob of paste about equal to half of what you'd get if you sliced the eraser off a brand new #2 pencil and then cut that chunk of eraser in half. At most. About a third of that eraser is probably plenty, or about equal to two or three grains of rice, for basically every aftermarket high mounting pressure cooler out there and maybe about 1/3 more than that for any of the stock low pressure mounting style coolers.

This, is from my Hyper 212 Evo installation guide, but it applies equally across the board for the most part.

-Some methods "Recommended" around the web-

xi1m7t4.png

-The likely, but undesirable results of those methods-

881i2yT.png

-More promising methods-

XRyO2AK.png

-Probable results-

YzYUoBq.jpg

l8oCHWa.png

Notice that even with this method there is substantial filling of the heat pipe seams. It is NOT necessary to lay multiple lines along seams.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution