Question Upgraded to I7 9700k and now have constant stuttering

Lukeus44

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
I took the plunge and upgraded my system to an I7 9700k from an I7 6700k and every game I play is stuttering.

I7 9700k (New)
Corsair H100i AIO
MSI RTX 2070 Super
ROG Asus z390-f Motherboard (New)
16GB Corsair Vengance 3000mhz
650W Corsair 80+
250GB SSD (OS)
1TB Samsung Evo Plus (Games)

I play at 1440P with GSync monitor.

First thoughts where great, everything booted as normal, ran Prime 95 for 2 hours (Temps Max 62c), ran intel diagnositic tool on the CPU to confirm all okay, passed every test.

If i launch any game at all, either the graphics will load in extremely slowly, or the game will chug unbelievably. I performed a fresh install of windows without any improvement. I also updated the bios and the chipset, I have reinstalled all my graphic drivers aswell.

I havent changed my rtx 2070 super graphics card just took it out the old motherboard and put it into the new one, and have had this card for about 8 months without issues.
Interestingly if i run any graphics cad tests like 3DMark TimeSpy the FPS is stable and never goes below 100fps with no stuttering. So i dont think its the graphics card.

I have turned off overclocking to see if that had an affect, i have gone into great detail following videos on how to make your CPU stable (to see if that was the issue), even with lots of changes and fiddling about, I still got lots of stutters. I have tried 3.6ghz without turbo, 4.2ghz custom overclock, asus AI overclock and more.

The audio also crackles when there is a stutter. I have looked at my FPS while playing and only see a tiny drop when it stutters. I have been testing it on Call of Duty MW, GTA5.

I really dont understand what the issue is, I now have an empty PC and no ability to run any games, help!!!

Did you reinstall Windows when you upgraded the system? If not try that, Windows 10 is better about booting after a hardware change, but you can still get driver conflicts and other software problems that can cause performance issues. As such, it's still best practice to reinstall your OS whenever you do a full platform change with a new motherboard.

Lukeus44

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Did you reinstall Windows when you upgraded the system? If not try that, Windows 10 is better about booting after a hardware change, but you can still get driver conflicts and other software problems that can cause performance issues. As such, it's still best practice to reinstall your OS whenever you do a full platform change with a new motherboard.
Hi Supernova,
Yes, sorry to be clear, I installed the new components, found the system to be stuttering. I then ran the windows 10 reset, wiped my SSD and did a completely fresh install of windows 10.

All latest chipset drivers for your mainboard installed?

Install HWMonitor, and CPU-Z, and, see what all-core clock speeds are maintained (via HWMonitor) during a 15 minute run of CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU; factory standard would be for 4.6 GHz to be maintained across the 8 cores, barring any cooling or power budget/TDP restrictions...

Lukeus44

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Update: Fingers crossed that I am not talking too soon. I took my graphics card out and then placed it back into the top PCIE slot. No luck. Then I put it into the second PCIE slot on the bottom of the motherboard, now i can run all my games and software without much stuttering at all. Will get a new Motherboard or a replacement as this one is obviously broken or is there any real noticable affect on my graphics card with it being in the second PCIE Slot?

Thanks for all your help.