[SOLVED] Upgraded to new motherboard, unable to boot into Windows automatically.

youngster2016

Reputable
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 is installed on an SSD. I upgraded the mobo and since then I cannot boot unless I manually click the drive in the BIOS.

Also, if I enable UEFI mode I cannot even boot at all what so ever. It has to be in legacy mode. I'm assuming that's the way the old mobo was so now it's having an issue maybe because I didn't do a fresh install of windows?

I'm not really that knowledgeable about the UEFI and Legacy options in the BIOS. Not entirely sure what that consists of and how to fix this. Do I have to do Windows recovery or something? I'm planning on upgrading my boot drive to an M.2 drive, which I already bought. Is there something I have to, or should do before I start the cloning process?

Solution
You don't want to do 'clone' or 'repair'.
Since you have a new M2 you want to use as your boot drive, you'll want that installed. You'll also want to remove any other drives (SSD) while you do install process, and put it back in after Windows is installed. After Windows is installed, you'll want to install all necessary motherbiard drivers from THEIR website. It's best to have these downloaded to a stick prior to Windows install
Since you have a new M2 you want to use as your boot drive, you'll want that installed. You'll also want to remove any other drives (SSD) while you do install process, and put it back in after Windows is installed. After Windows is installed, you'll want to install all necessary motherbiard drivers from THEIR website. It's best to have these downloaded to a stick prior to Windows install

Solution

youngster2016

Reputable
Apr 24, 2016
Ok I actually figured out why I couldn't boot automatically into windows. Apparently my mobo didn't recognize that I had a cpu fan plugged in, when in fact, I had a pump for my aio plugged in. I had a cpu fan error, so I disabled the sensor for the fan in the bios and it solved that. Other than that I don't have a single other problem with windows, so is a fresh install really necessary?

DSzymborski

Titan
Ok I actually figured out why I couldn't boot automatically into windows. Apparently my mobo didn't recognize that I had a cpu fan plugged in, when in fact, I had a pump for my aio plugged in. I had a cpu fan error, so I disabled the sensor for the fan in the bios and it solved that. Other than that I don't have a single other problem with windows, so is a fresh install really necessary?

Yes, it's always the best practice. You could find an odd underperformance or driver issue months from now. Anything worth doing is worth doing properly.

Reactions: Corwin65