[SOLVED] Upgraded to R7 3700x and cant post and computer will no longer manually shut down.

Sep 7, 2020
I just went from a R5 2600 to a R7 3700x on a Gigabyte Auros Pro B450 wifi board. When trying to boot I get no display. All fans and are RGB lights are working. One odd thing is I can no longer power off the pc by holding down the power button. The pc will only shut off if I flip the switch on the PSU.

I checked the BIOS before switching cpus and I was running version F5. When checking online it said 3rd gen ryzen needed f40 or above. I have reseated the ram, checked that all cables are plugged in properly, and unplugged the psu and motherboard battery then rebooted. All components were working properly before switching cpus.

This is my first PC and I am fairly new to building/upgrading. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

specs:
ryzen 7 3700x
b450 pro wifi (bios version f5)
rtx 2080
16gb ram 3200mhz
750w psu
win 10 64

Sep 7, 2020
You answered your own question.

You need to fit the 2600 back in and update the bios to f40.

Then refit the 3700x.
You answered your own question.

You need to fit the 2600 back in and update the bios to f40.

Then refit the 3700x.
I bought the motherboard recently And thought it might have already been updated. I wasn’t sure if f5 was above f40. I didn’t see anything that said f5 on the gigabyte website. I will try the old cpu and upgrade the bios. Thanks

I bought the motherboard recently And thought it might have already been updated. I wasn’t sure if f5 was above f40. I didn’t see anything that said f5 on the gigabyte website. I will try the old cpu and upgrade the bios. Thanks
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

For F40 bios update.
  1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.2 for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU full support
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

I would suggest installing F30 first and following the instructions on the download page before moving on to F32 and then F40. Once you have F40 flashed, you can flash F50 and then F51. I'm not sure if you can just go straight to F51.

Sep 7, 2020
Turns out I am an idiot...and a simple BIOS update like everyone recommended was all it needed. I assumed F5 was just short for F50 because I didn't see F5 on the compatibility list I was looking at. I put the 2600 back in and was able to update everything. Thanks everyone!