Question Upgraded to Ryzen 5 3600, PC now fails to POST with 3600 AND 1400

May 6, 2020
Just to start, I now realize I have already made a pretty major mistake by not flashing my bios before installing the new cpu, but alas I'm already far past that point. My computer used to have a Ryzen 5 1400, and this morning my new cpu arrived so I immediately powered off the pc and threw it in. Since then, my pc has not managed to POST. I have tried resetting the CMOS, both by removing the battery and using the mobo header. I have tried to remove different parts of my PC to get it to POST, to no avail (e.g. one stick of ram in every dimm slot, removing all drives, removing all extension cards, usb drives, etc.) I tried putting put the 1400 back in, with its original cooler and tried different hardware configs. Nothing I have tried can get the PC to POST.

Setup:
Ryzen 5 1400 / Ryzen 5 3600
Asrock AB350 Pro4 Mobo
2x4GB 3200 DDDR4
Asus Radeon RX480 4GB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
WD Blue 5400rpm 1TB HDD
Corsair CX450M PSU
TP-Link wifi card

Last edited:
Just to start, I now realize I have already made a pretty major mistake by not flashing my bios before installing the new cpu, but alas I'm already far past that point. My computer used to have a Ryzen 5 1400, and this morning my new cpu arrived so I immediately powered off the pc and threw it in. Since then, my pc has not managed to POST. I have tried resetting the CMOS, both by removing the battery and using the mobo header. I have tried to remove different parts of my PC to get it to POST, to no avail (e.g. one stick of ram in every dimm slot, removing all drives, removing all extension cards, usb drives, etc.) I tried putting put the 1400 back in, with its original cooler and tried different hardware configs. Nothing I have tried can get the PC to POST.

Setup:
Ryzen 5 1400 / Ryzen 5 3600
Asrock AB350 Pro4 Mobo
2x4GB 3200 DDDR4
Asus Radeon RX480 4GB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
WD Blue 5400rpm 1TB HDD
Corsair CX450M PSU
TP-Link wifi card

A couple things to try...power down, pull plug take out memory and GPU and battery. Short the CMOS pins together and leave it overnight. It's probably a wild chance, but with my B350m Gaming 3 motherboard it did recover when it would 'cold brick' like yours apparently is.

And lastly: try the next boot with completely new/different memory DIMM if you can get hold of one. That may force the CPU to retrain memory and get itself unstuck.

If all else fails, don't forget to double check warranty as it may still be in effect so you can get relief from Asrock.

Reactions: Maryethu
May 6, 2020
A couple things to try...power down, pull plug take out memory and GPU and battery. Short the CMOS pins together and leave it overnight. It's probably a wild chance, but with my B350m Gaming 3 motherboard it did recover when it would 'cold brick' like yours apparently is.

And lastly: try the next boot with completely new/different memory DIMM if you can get hold of one. That may force the CPU to retrain memory and get itself unstuck.

If all else fails, don't forget to double check warranty as it may still be in effect so you can get relief from Asrock.
Thanks! I'll try that tonight. unfortunately I don't have any other dimms to try out though :/

May 6, 2020

UPDATE: So I tried taking the gpu, memory and battery out and leaving the cmos pins shorted overnight, but it didn't seem to do anything, the PC still won't POST