[SOLVED] Upgraded to Ryzen and there's no image in the monitor and MB has a yellow light on RAM

Aug 31, 2019
OK, so I just upgraded my computer from an Intel to AMD Ryzen. I didn't format the HDD before changing over.

The LED indicator for the RAM on the MB is lighting constant yellow light. So it should be the RAM, right? I tried changing the RAM bricks or one and one to check every brick, but nothing new happens. I've even tried all of the HDMI and DP ports, but the image never appears.

Could it possibly be any other faulty components? Assume that I could do anything wrong, please.

Right then, specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3900X
GPU: RTX2080 Asus STRIX
MB: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PLUS
RAM: 4x Ballistix Sport DDR4 8GB 2400mhz

Solution
That is certainly a possibility. That is why we try to isolate the likely culprit of the issue.
At least one of those 4 ram sticks has to work right? So it's not the ram.
CPU failures are incredibly rare so that's very unlikely too.
The motherboard would not be showing a memory error if it's the gpus fault.
This kind of an error is also very unlikely to come from a PSU (not to mention how good his unit is).
So the only thing i can think of to test anymore is only having one storage drive connected.
And if that doesn't help then the only thing left is the motherboard.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just to confirm, when you power on, does anything appear on the screen (BIOS splash page)?

Also, the first boot, with a new config, can take a bit of time (minute or so in some cases) for the system to proceed as the BIOS maps out the new hardware for the first time.

Aug 31, 2019
Just to confirm, when you power on, does anything appear on the screen (BIOS splash page)?

Also, the first boot, with a new config, can take a bit of time (minute or so in some cases) for the system to proceed as the BIOS maps out the new hardware for the first time.

Completely black screen. The monitor says it can't find a connection

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure that your motherboard power connectors are properly attached (both the 24-pin and 8-pin). BTW, what is the make/model of your PSU? Verify that you plugged a 4+4-pin connector into the motherboard socket and NOT a PCIe (6+2) connection that is used for GPUs.

Do you have access to another GPU that can be swapped in for troubleshooting?

What storage devices do you have connected?

Aug 31, 2019
Make sure that your motherboard power connectors are properly attached (both the 24-pin and 8-pin). BTW, what is the make/model of your PSU? Verify that you plugged a 4+4-pin connector into the motherboard socket and NOT a PCIe (6+2) connection that is used for GPUs.

Do you have access to another GPU that can be swapped in for troubleshooting?

What storage devices do you have connected?
Everything is connected correctly in the PSU, which is a Corsair RM 850X.

The ATX slot has 8x4 pins, but I only have a 8 pin.

The HDD's are:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD (M.2)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5"
Samsung 2.5" SSD (can't find correct info here, but it's about 500gb)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you certain that your display/monitor is connected to the GPU (that has the proper PCIe power connections from the PSU attached to it) and not to any video connections attached directly to the motherboard?

When powering on, do fans start spinning?

Aug 31, 2019
Are you certain that your display/monitor is connected to the GPU (that has the proper PCIe power connections from the PSU attached to it) and not to any video connections attached directly to the motherboard?

When powering on, do fans start spinning?
I'll triple check it, but I'm fairly certain. All fans and lights start up, but the PSU fan stops after a little while.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The PSU fan stopping could be a feature of the device powering the fan down since it isn't under load (runs quieter). The reason I asked about swapping the GPU was an attempt to isolate where the issue might be.

Did you use your GPU with the previous Intel config? Just trying to verify that it was previously working.

That is certainly a possibility. That is why we try to isolate the likely culprit of the issue.
At least one of those 4 ram sticks has to work right? So it's not the ram.
CPU failures are incredibly rare so that's very unlikely too.
The motherboard would not be showing a memory error if it's the gpus fault.
This kind of an error is also very unlikely to come from a PSU (not to mention how good his unit is).
So the only thing i can think of to test anymore is only having one storage drive connected.
And if that doesn't help then the only thing left is the motherboard.

Solution