[SOLVED] Upgraded to Samsung 970 EVO M.2, read/write speeds of 800/mbs

Mar 13, 2020
So I've had a custom build for about the past 5 years, no issues works beautifully. This year I started doing a lot more coding and statistical analysis in my phd so I began doing some upgrading and just recently I upgraded my main SSD from the a Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" to the Samsung 970 EVO M.2. The main reason for the upgrade is that my previous SSD was nearly 90% full and PC began slowing down noticeably. So I installed the 970 EVO and my PC is running slower then it did before.

I ran UserBenchmark tests, CrystalDisk test, and Performance Benchmark via the Samsung Magician and all of them pretty much show read/write speeds in the 800s. I think MAYBE this might be due to the motherboard not being able to support the speeds of the M.2 but I can't find any confirmation of this. Can someone please advise? Dual monitor, motherboards BIOS is updated as is the Firmware for the M.2. Build specs are below:

Motherboard: GA-H97-D3H
CPU: Intel i7-490k
Memory: 24 GB Crucial Tact 2 x 8 GB and Corsair Vengeance 1 x 8 GB
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500 GB and Seagate barracuda 1 TB
GPU: Geforce GTX 960

Solution
The M.2 port on your Z97 board is PCIe x2.
That drive will be running 1/2 speed at best.

It doesn't state that specifically, but that is usual for a Z97. Almost all Z97 level boards are like that.
Mar 13, 2020
bGkXRE.png
pL0VI8.png
g86SrU.png

Mar 13, 2020
The M.2 port on your Z97 board is PCIe x2.
That drive will be running 1/2 speed at best.

It doesn't state that specifically, but that is usual for a Z97. Almost all Z97 level boards are like that.

USAFRet,

Thank you for the response! I was afraid of that. In your opinion do you think it would be better to upgrade to a new motherboard? Or return the M.2 and get a new SSD. Are their SSD's that read/write at speeds >800?

USAFRet

Titan
USAFRet,

Thank you for the response! I was afraid of that. In your opinion do you think it would be better to upgrade to a new motherboard? Or return the M.2 and get a new SSD. Are their SSD's that read/write at speeds >800?
Don't upgrade just to use that drive at its full speed. You'd be looking at a whole rebuild. Motherboard/CPU/RAM, probably everything else.

Accept it for what it is in that system, keep the 970 drive, and use it in your next system.

USAFRet

Titan
Were not a large handful of Z97 folks getting full performance via relatively inexpensive adapters in a PCI-e 3.0 X4 slot?
Yes, that is an option, for a secondary drive.

I have one of those for my Intel 660p.
BUT - we're looking at diminishing/negligible returns.

In my typical use case and workflow, I see little or no difference between a good SATA III drive (Samsung 860 EVO) and the 660p running at its full speed in an adapter.

Managing photos in Adobe Lightroom...zero measurable difference. Literally zero.