Question Upgraded to the 6900xt, now getting stutters in games.

Feb 18, 2022
Hey everyone,

Im super stumped on this and I cannot find out the issue for the life of me. I recently brought the MSI 6900xt as an upgrade from the RTX 2080 Super, I used DDU and Revo uninstaller to completely get rid of anything Nvidia related so no clashes will happen.

I played Resident Evil 2 before on the 2080 and no stuttering happened at all. However now, I am stuttering somewhat frequently. The games I have tested this on is RE2, RE3, RE7, Bloons TD6. These games all had stuttering issues.

I mainly play Apex legends right now, yet I do not stutter at all in that game. I have tried fixes in case it was the game but nothing seemed to work completely.

Does anyone have something I can try to fix this? I am on the latest drivers if that also helps, here are my specs:

MSI 6900XT
RYZEN 7 5800X
32GB RAM 3200MHz
750w PSU
Windows 11

Feb 18, 2022
AMD calls it Smart Access Memory, it is a feature of PCIe that allows the GPU to access system memory in larger chunks. Usually some BIOS settings you have to go through to enable it.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

I know with my card I also had to update the vBIOS.

It is not likely the cause of your stuttering, but you should have it on anyway.

Apologies for the late reply, I've turned this on but sadly I have to go to work so I won't be able to fully test this until I get home. I'll let you know how it goes!

Confirm your ram is working at the spec frequency in the bios by activating xmp profiles if needed.
Please provide the age and make of the psu.
If it is adequate do a fresh install of windows.

I'm not sure trying to hunt down an issue beyond this is worth it.
If you continue to have the same issue it's the card or the psu.

If this fresh install of windows doesn't resolve your issue please remember age can affect your psu while your new card can draw 100 more watts than your previous card when topped out.

Please do a fresh install do not restore or repair. Get a data stick save your media then wipe the drive and make a new install . Do you need win 11 at this moment? If ya don't let them iron out the issues. Win 11 adds no features for amd where gaming is concerned at the moment

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Confirm your ram is working at the spec frequency in the bios by activating xmp profiles if needed.
Please provide the age and make of the psu.
If it is adequate do a fresh install of windows.

I'm not sure trying to hunt down an issue beyond this is worth it.
If you continue to have the same issue it's the card or the psu.

If this fresh install of windows doesn't resolve your issue please remember age can affect your psu while your new card can draw 100 more watts than your previous card when topped out.

Please do a fresh install do not restore or repair. Get a data stick save your media then wipe the drive and make a new install . Do you need win 11 at this moment? If ya don't let them iron out the issues. Win 11 adds no features for amd where gaming is concerned at the moment

Thanks for all the info, I have an EVGA 750w gold, it's around 3 years old now.

The RAM is running at 32000MHz as I had checked last night. I can do a fresh install of Windows, but I don't have issues with Windows 11 at the moment but if its more appropriate I can go back to Windows 10.

Reactions: spentshells
Feb 20, 2022
What settings are you using? If you could post a screenshot of the graphics tab and the tuning tab.
The 6900xt is a power hungry card, but you can set the power draw lower and see if that helps.

On water a Powercolor 6900xt will clock over 2600 and the power draw goes up to 325w. You can use a tool called MPT and increase the power to over 400w (which I wouldn't recommend) or you can turn the power slider down and run a lower clock by just setting the slider to like 2450.

The only settings I use in the graphics menu are enhanced sync and anti lag. So you can try those out maybe. But definitely give it a try with the power slider at -6% and see if it helps. I have a system with a 6800xt + 5950x that is powered by a 750w corsair PSU. I ran into issues because I had color extension cables, if you have those make sure your 12V and 5V are good. I wouldn`t recommend using them at all though.

Feb 18, 2022
What settings are you using? If you could post a screenshot of the graphics tab and the tuning tab.
The 6900xt is a power hungry card, but you can set the power draw lower and see if that helps.

On water a Powercolor 6900xt will clock over 2600 and the power draw goes up to 325w. You can use a tool called MPT and increase the power to over 400w (which I wouldn't recommend) or you can turn the power slider down and run a lower clock by just setting the slider to like 2450.

The only settings I use in the graphics menu are enhanced sync and anti lag. So you can try those out maybe. But definitely give it a try with the power slider at -6% and see if it helps. I have a system with a 6800xt + 5950x that is powered by a 750w corsair PSU. I ran into issues because I had color extension cables, if you have those make sure your 12V and 5V are good. I wouldn`t recommend using them at all though.
I apologise for such a late reply, my system tuning control as well as my CPU tuning is set to default, here are pictures for my tunings for the GPU and one of my games I suffer stuttering with. I will look into MPT.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cBJ9vyp
Here are the pictures.

Turn off zeroRPM fan and set a decent fan curve on your 6900 XT. The fans can spin up a bit while still remaining quiet.
Run HWiNFO64 in the background (sensors only, logging on) and game until you experience stuttering for a few minutes. Go through the log file or upload it somewhere we can grab it and take a look.