Upgraded to Win 8.1 cannot get past login screen after windows update or Installing Nvidia drivers

robscaz

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Hello,

I decided to buy an SSD to upgrade my machine, thought Id also make the step to upgrade to Win 8.1 from Win7 while I was at it.

Everything was going swimmingly, I install the SDD and Win8.1 without any issues. I then went onto try and install my graphics card drivers for my nvidia GTX 760. That appeared to install properly, then prompted me to restart my pc.

So I did, it shows the windows sign, then attempts to load the login screen. Then just shows a green screen and gets stuck there. (theme i chose is green.)

I tried to do some trouble shooting, so did a fresh install again, then decided to install windows updates to see if one of those fixed the issue.

THose installed, then again prompted me to restart so it could install the update. Same issue when booting!

I have also used MSI Live to update my bios incase it was that.

My system is:
MSI MS-7758
INTEL I5-3570K
WD 1TB HDD BLUE
CORSAIR VENGENCE 8GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX760
Sandisk Ultra II SSD

Please help, as having no machine is beginning to become painful!

thanks in advance,

Rob

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Could your login window and buttons be outside of viewing area?
Does your monitor have a feature that says overscan enable/disable or a overscan slider?
Try that.
Otherwise I don't know why it would happen. BSOD in Windows 8.1 is a lighter blue screen with a :( sign than the usual bsod. Has anyone heard of a green screen of death?

robscaz

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

The green is because I chose my background to be green. So its basically attempting to load the login screen but fails to display the login boxes etc.

Monitor doesnt appear to have the setting you mentioned. Its an Acer S220HQL