[SOLVED] Windows 10 Upgrade Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2021
So I bought a new SSD and decided to make a bootable Windows 10 USB. Everything went well until I swap back my old hard drive which has Windows 8.1, and it’s giving me a black screen. Can anyone help me fix this? :/

Solution
All it shows when I put the old hard drive back in is a black screen.
Make sure boot priority and boot mode in BIOS is set apropriately.

If I had to guess ..
probably windows on HDD is installed in a different mode than on SSD (one in legacy mode, other in UEFI mode).
Adding a drive can change boot priority. So now laptop tries to boot from HDD in mode incompatible with windows installed on it.
Oct 27, 2021
When you installed Win10 on the new SSD, was the old harddrive still in the system?
If so the Windows probably wrote the boot files to the HDD. reinstall it and see if you boot up now.

Not sure if I should say yes or no. I was using the old hard drive to install windows 10 on the USB. Then I took out the old hard drive (8.1) and put the new SSD with the USB stick. The thing is all my files are saved in the old one. All it shows when I put the old hard drive back in is a black screen.

All it shows when I put the old hard drive back in is a black screen.

If I had to guess ..
probably windows on HDD is installed in a different mode than on SSD (one in legacy mode, other in UEFI mode).
Adding a drive can change boot priority. So now laptop tries to boot from HDD in mode incompatible with windows installed on it.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Oct 27, 2021

If I had to guess ..

thanks for helping. So I’m using UEFI mode right now on Windows 10. Do I need to switch back to Legacy mode in order to load Windows 8.1 in my old hard drive? because currently I can’t even boot up BIOS right now in the old HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS