Question upgraded to x470 and r7 3700x and my pc won’t post

Sep 14, 2019
So I got a the asus prime x470 pro and the Ryzen 7 3700x with cossair vengeance as a nice little upgrade. I updated my bios to the most recent one using my friends 1600x and I was able to get into windows with his processor. But as soon as I swapped the 3700x in, my pc won’t post. Everything lights up but my cpu fan spins for a sec then just stops. I have no idea what’s wrong, did I just get a dud cpu? Or is it more complex then that?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Using your friend's computer, create a Windows 10 installation USB using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Take this USB to your computer, power it up, change the boot priority to USB first, insert the USB device, save your changes and reboot the system.

Does your system boot up to the Windows installation screen? If so, there's nothing wrong with your hardware. You just likely need to complete the clean install. Exit the installation, save/back up your data and then restart the install and perform a clean install of Windows.

If you do not see the Windows install screen, then there may be a hardware issue. Are you sure you reconnected all of the power connectors?

-Wolf sends

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would clear the CMOS following the directions listed in your motherboard manual exactly.
It seems to be a fairly common requirement after updating a BIOS for a 3000 series CPU.
If it still doesn't POST remove all but 1 stick of RAM (in slot A2) and Clear the CMOS again.

Sep 14, 2019
Using your friend's computer, create a Windows 10 installation USB using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Take this USB to your computer, power it up, change the boot priority to USB first, insert the USB device, save your changes and reboot the system.

Does your system boot up to the Windows installation screen? If so, there's nothing wrong with your hardware. You just likely need to complete the clean install. Exit the installation, save/back up your data and then restart the install and perform a clean install of Windows.

If you do not see the Windows install screen, then there may be a hardware issue. Are you sure you reconnected all of the power connectors?

-Wolf sends
I’m positive I reconnected the cables and everything and I can’t even get it to go to bios. My screen stays black during the whole thing. The only time it worked with the new mobo was with my friends R5 1600x.

Sep 14, 2019
I would clear the CMOS following the directions listed in your motherboard manual exactly.
It seems to be a fairly common requirement after updating a BIOS for a 3000 series CPU.
If it still doesn't POST remove all but 1 stick of RAM (in slot A2) and Clear the CMOS again.
I did this but It still won’t POST 😭

You might have to go back to the 1600 to make sure the mainboard is still functional, and inspect socket/CPU's underside very closely during the swap (if 1600 still available for troubleshooting), etc..

The fact that the CPU fan actually stops is troubling, but, hopefully we'll know more once seeing if all is well with the 1600 again.....

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
You might have to go back to the 1600 to make sure the mainboard is still functional, and inspect socket/CPU's underside very closely during the swap (if 1600 still available for troubleshooting), etc..

The fact that the CPU fan actually stops is troubling, but, hopefully we'll know more once seeing if all is well with the 1600 again.....
Put in the 1600x and all is well, it’s just acting up as soon as the 3700x is in. Which is weird because the bios is up to date.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Idk what the original was but I updated to 5204 and then updated to 5216 after that. But I didn’ t update the chipset because I don’t know how.

With the 1600x installed, downgrade to BIOS version 4024. Then install the latest AMD Chipset drivers (found here) and then update to BIOS version 4204. Once your system is stable with this BIOS version, then you can attempt to update to the latest BIOS version for your 3700X.

-Wolf sends

Sep 14, 2019
With the 1600x installed, downgrade to BIOS version 4024. Then install the latest AMD Chipset drivers (found here) and then update to BIOS version 4204. Once your system is stable with this BIOS version, then you can attempt to update to the latest BIOS version for your 3700X.

-Wolf sends
Tried downgrading and it says it’s not the proper bios, but I got it from the ASUS website?

Sep 14, 2019
Are you able to restore the BIOS using ASUS Crashfree BIOS 3 (BIOS Update Manual Pg. 7)?
Did you rename the BIOS file name?

-Wolf sends
So its been a while. I talked to Newegg and had them exchange my CPU for a new one. I put it in and it booted up fine. Cant believe out of everything It was my CPU, I guess I really lost the silicon lottery this time around. Thanks for the help Wolf really appreciate it!

Reactions: DMAN999