Upgraded win 7 to win 10, going to a new SSD, how would I keep games ect active?

Afuldan

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Hello all, first post here. I upgraded a custom PC from Win 7 to Win 10 a while ago. I'm getting a new SSD that has more than enough room for everything that I have on my HDD. Because I have very slow internet, I dont want to redownload all my non-Steam games, and I have several personal files on my HDD that I need to keep.
I understand I can make a Win10 ISO usb drive to install Win10 fresh on my SSD, but how would I be able to get my games over to the SSD and have them work properly? I can keep my personal files on my HDD. I do not have an external drive to back up, but I just backed up my computer to DVD last week (13! DVDs) and i dont want to have problems with the new Win10 install on the new SSD and the old Win10 upgrade install on the HDD.

Im sorry if this is a redundant post, but I couldnt find a thread that has the same issues ect.

Solution
If the system is running well with the original hard drive then cloning is a great option and saves a lot of work.
If it isn't running well then fresh install is worth the effort of re-installing everything and copying your stuff over (saved games, documents, etc.)

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Download and create a Clonezilla CD or USB drive and boot to that, then clone your drive to the SSD. Swap them out and you will be back up and running except with much better performance from the SSD.

Of course, you need a way to connect both drives at the same time, either internally or with a USB adapter.

Afuldan

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
So a clone would be the only way to get the games and ect to work properly? That sucks. I was hoping to get a fresh install of Win10.

Edit: also seems like there are a lot of problems people have with cloning. I was hoping there was a way around having to clone the HDD.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If the system is running well with the original hard drive then cloning is a great option and saves a lot of work.
If it isn't running well then fresh install is worth the effort of re-installing everything and copying your stuff over (saved games, documents, etc.)

Solution

Afuldan

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Its being pretty funky. The updater is hung on two updates, even though the one is installed. Its the windows dvd update. The other is the framework 2012 c++ and it installs every time the dvd one fails. The win defender and other updates install fine. I was hoping a fresh install would solve this, then maybe copy/paste my games and files over. I got WoW from my old computer this way, no problems.

TRENDING THREADS