thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I just upgraded my GPU and my case (to a stacker 832) and im getting this really annoying "Unknown device" in the device manager. I plugged one of the front panel usb wires to my motherboard, maybe thats it?

Thats my first question, the second is i had no idea there where different type of motherboard usb and firewire ports. The case manual gave a list of what each wire in the socket was, and asked that i compare it to my motherboard layout diagram to make sure they match. Only one of the 3 internal usb connectors on my motherboard was the same (USB10 or something, the others had different numbers). The firewire didnt match. What happens if i plug them in anyway? Will i damage the mobo?

Thanks for reading.

Oh... and the computer gave a CMOS error on the first boot and wiped all the bios data to default, anyone know why?

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
First question:
Try first updating your chipset drivers and graphics card drivers to the latest and greatest.

Second question:
If i'm understanding what your inquering about your asking about usb 1.0 and usb 2.0 (I think 3.0 was just released?). Same with firewire. There are different standards for each of these devices. Something to keep in mind that these are hardware standards and not software standards.

USB 2.0 vs USB 1.0 article

I'm not sure if this is what you meant to ask about though?

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

No it isnt what im talking about. I mean there where 3 different USB 2.0 ports, called USB(somenumber).

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
That means your motherboard will allow you to expand the amount of usb devices that it currently offers (not knowing any of your sys parts I cant' tell you how many your motherboard comes with by default). Your case has some extra usb connectors that you will need to plug into one of the 3 different usb spots on your motherboard for them to work. There should be 10 pin connectors coming from your case that plug directly into the board for your usb. I'd start with the lowest numbered usb spot on your motherboard and work your way up to the highest.

Hopefuly this time i'm a little more on target?

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
SO there is no difference in the ports? The case manual said that i should make sure the ports match or it may damage it.

My motherboard is an asus crosshair btw.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
You'll need both. Asus will have drivers for your motherboard and Nvidia will have drivers for your graphics card. (This is assuming that you have a nvidia graphics card. If its an ATI card then you'll need to go to their website to get their drivers.)