[SOLVED] Upgradeing emachine EL1358G-51W

Oct 18, 2020
Hello, everyone! I have acquired an emachine from my sister. 220w power supply, 3 gig DDR3 memory. Chipset is AMD ATHLON II. The case throws me off because it is smaller than a standard XT. Looking to upgrade it to the point where it can handle Elder Scrolls Online. Motherboard/chip? Video? Power supply? Of course, the monitor will have to go, as it only does the SVGA hook up, not digital. I would not be opposed to spending $400 - $500 if it will actually do it.
I have "tinkering" for a long time, but I'm no guru!! I have two upgraded HP's that are the regular size XT case. Both running AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core at 4.00 GHz, Radeon RX 570 series, 16 gig DDR3 memory, and 500w PSU. Other than the actual power supply, this is what I would be aiming for performance-wise, but could deal with something not as powerful.

Solution
You're not going to get up to the fx-8350 for sure, so you may want to stop if 4 cores won't be enough. It seems that the athlon ii x4 635 and phenom x4 955 will both work according to this:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Emachines-EL1358/133311

This emachines case is exactly like my gateway sx2803 and uses a very tiny power supply that will be expensive to upgrade. The slots are also limited for a gpu because you need low profile and possibly single slot as well.

The good thing is that the parts are all standard in the case so you could move to them a larger case if you wanted. Or you could swap in something more powerful into the existing case with an igpu and not need a gpu.

I think you'll need to weigh the pros and...
You're not going to get up to the fx-8350 for sure, so you may want to stop if 4 cores won't be enough. It seems that the athlon ii x4 635 and phenom x4 955 will both work according to this:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Emachines-EL1358/133311

This emachines case is exactly like my gateway sx2803 and uses a very tiny power supply that will be expensive to upgrade. The slots are also limited for a gpu because you need low profile and possibly single slot as well.

The good thing is that the parts are all standard in the case so you could move to them a larger case if you wanted. Or you could swap in something more powerful into the existing case with an igpu and not need a gpu.

I think you'll need to weigh the pros and cons cost-wise. Happy upgrading!

Solution
Hello, everyone! I have acquired an emachine from my sister. 220w power supply, 3 gig DDR3 memory. Chipset is AMD ATHLON II. The case throws me off because it is smaller than a standard XT. Looking to upgrade it to the point where it can handle Elder Scrolls Online. Motherboard/chip? Video? Power supply? Of course, the monitor will have to go, as it only does the SVGA hook up, not digital. I would not be opposed to spending $400 - $500 if it will actually do it.
I have "tinkering" for a long time, but I'm no guru!! I have two upgraded HP's that are the regular size XT case. Both running AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core at 4.00 GHz, Radeon RX 570 series, 16 gig DDR3 memory, and 500w PSU. Other than the actual power supply, this is what I would be aiming for performance-wise, but could deal with something not as powerful.

For 4-500 I would not spend any money on that system. You can build a new one for that much.