Question Upgrades causing constant & random hard crashes ?

magusprimex

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Hello all. I hope I'm posting this correctly, please let me know otherwise. I have been having an absolute horrible time of it for over a month since deciding I needed a CPU upgrade, (though much of that was on Amazon's end) and just when it seemed like everything was finally going to go right, well, it's been a day since I started doing the actual upgrade.

I'm replacing the old CPU and mobo on a 6+ year old machine. This was the original build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fxCKFG And it worked without any flaws, just the CPU was definitely starting to show its age in modern games. So I was planning to upgrade to this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kW6n6D along with a fresh install of Windows 11 on the old SSD. Oh, and at some point I upgraded to an EVGA 850W Gold G5 PSU, probably when I got the 3080. Like I said, old build never gave me problems.

New build, however, is hard crashing constantly, just shutting off and restarting, sometimes multiple times in a row. I got Windows installed before this started happening, fortunately. I don't get a BSoD, so I'm pulling my hair out not knowing any error messages to try and diagnose from. I thought maybe it had to do with when drivers or other software were installing, but it also will just shut off and restart when doing nothing. I have double checked to make sure every cable and piece and firmly and properly seated. The temps seem completely fine when I open it up immediately following a crash and check on the BIOS hardware monitor as well. I was hoping it was maybe a bad installation, maybe it pulled old drivers from the Windows 10 before it, I don't know, and I tried to do a clean reinstall but it'll crash during that install as well.

The way it just shuts off and restarts makes me think it might be a power issue, but 850W should be plenty for that system, no? And the same PSU was working without issue before the new CPU and mobo. I just don't even know where to start troubleshooting at this point and I'm so mentally and emotionally exhausted with the amount of issues I've been having for what I thought would be an easy and relatively quick swap and upgrade. Please, I'd appreciate any help or insight into this.

Quick search suggests the 3080 needs a 750 watt psu. While the EVGA unit there might be decent, I’m assuming you reused your existing one and that it’s a few years old and has probably aged a bit.

As power supplies age they can’t put out the power output they once did. That is probably where I’d start from.

magusprimex

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Quick search suggests the 3080 needs a 750 watt psu. While the EVGA unit there might be decent, I’m assuming you reused your existing one and that it’s a few years old and has probably aged a bit.

As power supplies age they can’t put out the power output they once did. That is probably where I’d start from.
Thanks. Do you think I should go ahead and buy a new PSU at this point then, or is there some way to test if this is the culprit first? Would the issue just need a new PSU, or should I look into something beefier than an 850?

Are you running an XMP memory overclock at 3200MT/s or higher?

Are you overclocking your CPU or GPU?

If so, temporarily switch off all overclocks and return to stock speeds.
No overclocks, everything stock.

I can’t say that a new psu will solve it, but given that they recommend a 750 watt, plus yours is a few years old now, it might be a good housekeeping item. I personally have a Corsair rmx 850 watt psu, but if it’s not much more you may consider a larger one just to provide for extra overhead like say for example if you decide to get a new gpu in a year or two.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
The problem with fault finding is no matter how certain you are that component X is at fault, it often turns out to be component Y or Z.

This week I finished fault finding a mate's old Phenom II X4 965 PC. First thing I changed a month ago was the ancient PSU followed by the RAM, the SSD, the hard disk and the CPU.

Finally I installed a compatible mobo and the problem was fixed. The old mobo doesn't start up until you've waved a hair dryer round inside for a couple of minutes.

Buying a new good quality PSU could easily set you back $100 to $200, but might not fix the fault. If you have a spare computer you can borrow parts from or a local PC shop, you can avoid wasting money on bits that are still working. Best of luck.