Question UPgrades for AM4 3700X System

Aug 3, 2024
Hey everybody,

My current system is a ryzen 3700x with 64 gigs 3200 Ryzen 6600 Non XT

The motherboard is B550 AORUS PRO Updated to newest Bios

I have a 500 gig and and two terabyte SSD for storage. Plus a few servers

First of all I don't want to change the am5 that means changing memory motherboard and chip.

Since I'm looking to stay on the am4 platform.

I do a little light gaming but nothing serious the most intensive title I have is probably Madden

I'm more into the productivity side I do video rendering and video editing

I also use four monitors if you include my TV .

The TV is a Sony x85j and I use that one to run Kodi off 4K HDR

The other monitor is an Acer 720P I use for Discord.

I have upstar 28 in 4k as my secondary monitor It' non HDR.

my main monitor is a Samsung 4K HDR.

I'm in Canada so the prices are a little more expensive here than in the states

Especially for graphics cards. I'm looking to upgrade the CPU down the line

5800X or 5700 . I don't game a lot so I really don't think I need the 3D variance

My next step is to upgrade the graphics card the 6600 is getting a little old in the tooth

That I'd like I'd like to go to a card with 16 gigs of RAM to double my ram

I'm looking at Following Cards:

RX7600Xt : 128 GB bus in my opinion is the drawback to this car it about 506.23 CND

Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6800 : this card has the memory I want but it's also the same generation as my current card. cost 561.54

Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 6800 Master 586.47

ASRock RX 6800 XT 670.09 A little out of price range I want stay around 600 Canadian.

I want to stay with a 16 GB card as I figure 16 GB will be the standard before you know it

They're already cards with 24 gigs of RAM

So what would you guys recommend for the two upgrades

The first one will be the graphics card for Sept.

And I'll do the processor in December

Thanks Fellas

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are doing work with it, 5950X, max out the socket. Not going to gain too much going from a 3700X to a 5700X.

If you aren't doing much gaming and you aren't doing anything with GPU acceleration, then the GPU can stay.

If you are using the GPU and you need it to have the memory 7600XT is not a bad budget choice. You've already identified that the 6800 and 6800XT are the cheaper options for a full bus width solution. 7800XT is the next step up. Only competition there is the A770 from Intel, but you would have to be sure about your workflow to switch to that. Gaming wise, it still has some compatibility issues.

Aug 3, 2024
If you are doing work with it, 5950X, max out the socket. Not going to gain too much going from a 3700X to a 5700X.

If you aren't doing much gaming and you aren't doing anything with GPU acceleration, then the GPU can stay.

If you are using the GPU and you need it to have the memory 7600XT is not a bad budget choice. You've already identified that the 6800 and 6800XT are the cheaper options for a full bus width solution. 7800XT is the next step up. Only competition there is the A770 from Intel, but you would have to be sure about your workflow to switch to that. Gaming wise, it still has some compatibility issues.
I do quite a bit of video rendering and use the graphics card for it
I also do my own Blu-ray rips when I buy a new blu-ray I immediately rep it and then store the Blu-ray.

I also use OBS Studio quite a bit and a little light gaming
As well as use the Kodi media centre