upgrades for Intel DH61WW motherboad like graphics card and RAM

John Tyler

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Guys i have a pretty basic system with a core i3-2100 and a 450w PSU on a intel Dh61WW mother board. Now my question is that i am going to buy the zotac gtx 750 ti 2 GB GDDR5 GPU and upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 6GB so will my processor and PSU be able to power my GPU and will it bottleneck ? my priority is performance than quality so i just want to play all the latest games at 1080p but with medium or low settings so will this upgrade work ?? also if i consider upgrading to an i5 then how much of a difference will it make and will i have to upgrade my PSU then as well ? thanks alot !!

Solution
Now my question is that i am going to buy the zotac gtx 750 ti 2 GB GDDR5 GPU and upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 6GB so will my processor and PSU be able to power my GPU and will it bottleneck ?

No, the i3 is not going to bottleneck a 750 TI.

i just want to play all the latest games at 1080p but with medium or low settings so will this upgrade work?

Yes, the 750TI should work fine for most games at low settings, even medium or higher on some less demanding titles.

if i consider upgrading to an i5 then how much of a difference will it make and will i have to upgrade my PSU then as well ?

Upgrading the CPU from an i3 to an i5 should not require you to upgrade the PSU. However, if your PSU does not have a 6 pin PCI...
Now my question is that i am going to buy the zotac gtx 750 ti 2 GB GDDR5 GPU and upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 6GB so will my processor and PSU be able to power my GPU and will it bottleneck ?

No, the i3 is not going to bottleneck a 750 TI.

i just want to play all the latest games at 1080p but with medium or low settings so will this upgrade work?

Yes, the 750TI should work fine for most games at low settings, even medium or higher on some less demanding titles.

if i consider upgrading to an i5 then how much of a difference will it make and will i have to upgrade my PSU then as well ?

Upgrading the CPU from an i3 to an i5 should not require you to upgrade the PSU. However, if your PSU does not have a 6 pin PCI connector, you will need to use the 4 pin molex adapter included with the GPU. While that will work, it's not the most recommended method. Also, and more importantly, the quality of your PSU becomes more of an issue than it normally already is when powering a PCIe GPU. What is the model and brand of your current PSU?

Solution
I also wouldn't recommend a RAM total of 6GB. 4 or 8 GB is a more reliable configuration as it can then be run in dual channel mode which increases stability over mix and match configurations and increases performance speeds over single channel operation.

John Tyler

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

well its not a branded PSU actually so its a local brand and thats what i fear hence i chose the 750 ti since it requires less power. in the future ill upgrade my psu but not right now so ill stick to an i3 and install the 750ti ??

John Tyler

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

ok thanks alot man ill make the neccessary changes ASAP :)