[SOLVED] upgrades for my current pc

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Hi guys I actually used this site ages ago to get this pc and it's been amazing ever since, best pc I've ever had. I wanted to see if there are any upgrades for it that are worth it or if it would be pointless to upgrade and better to just wait till it starts to become outdated.

I was wondering if I'd have to upgrade my motherboard and what to upgrade it to if I was going to and if that new motherboard could then hold everything that was in it before by say upgrading to an I9 and 2080 or something and then carrying over the ram, storage and all that with the new PC still working efficiently. I feel like if I did that then I would need a better power supply and just at a point where there's no point and I may as well get a whole new pc but I don't really want to do that.

Partpicker list for everything: (Including mice and headphones, everything I could think of is here)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YwxnD2

This is the pc:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
My additions:
Power Supply: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1
Storage: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...200rpm-hybrid-internal-hard-drive-st2000dx002

I'll take any suggestions for upgrades on every little thing, just looking to max this pc out or get a whole new one that's way better or wait until there's a PC worth an upgrade over mine at a better lower price.

Solution
CPU: Can't really do any upgrades here. A 7700K would be a miniscule upgrade and anything else would require a complete motherboard and CPU replacement. Plus you would want to look at faster RAM. If you haven't overclocked yet. Given your cooling I'd look at a 4.6Ghz to 4.8Ghz overclock. Whatever you can hit at a safe voltage (under 1.4V). Now you could go ahead and get a whole new setup. Even with a 9900K the differences would be minor. Usually under 10FPS. That is only if you have a mega GPU and doing 1080p. At higher resolutions it becomes pointless or lesser GPU.

Now if you are doing something else like streaming while gaming. A faster CPU, motherboard plus more and faster RAM starts to make sense.

GPU: Here you can...
CPU: Can't really do any upgrades here. A 7700K would be a miniscule upgrade and anything else would require a complete motherboard and CPU replacement. Plus you would want to look at faster RAM. If you haven't overclocked yet. Given your cooling I'd look at a 4.6Ghz to 4.8Ghz overclock. Whatever you can hit at a safe voltage (under 1.4V). Now you could go ahead and get a whole new setup. Even with a 9900K the differences would be minor. Usually under 10FPS. That is only if you have a mega GPU and doing 1080p. At higher resolutions it becomes pointless or lesser GPU.

Now if you are doing something else like streaming while gaming. A faster CPU, motherboard plus more and faster RAM starts to make sense.

GPU: Here you can make some headway. A GTX 1080 Ti, RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 Ti would be marked improvements. Whether you want very high FPS at 1080p, higher 2560p or smooth 4K.

RAM: Unless you are doing other tasks which need more RAM. 16GB is still all you need for straight gaming.

Storage: This could be a game changer:rolleyes:. SSD have gotten cheap. Pop in a 1TB NVMe SSD and use it as a boot drive and for games. Game load times will have a huge improvement. It's amazing how big a difference an SSD makes in gaming. So much less waiting. If you need more room get a 1TB SATA model as your secondary drive for less used games. Save the old spinner drives for backups and data storage where speed doesn't matter. They are really obsolete for any OS or program loading nowadays.

PSU: Still good if you are just running one GPU. Including new models.

To summarize, my recommendations would be the following. It won't be cheap. But it'll be expensive to get noticeable gains over what you already have.
  • Upgrade the GPU to an RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti
  • Upgrade to a large 1TB NVMe SSD boot drive. Any additional game storage should be on large 1TB/2TB SATA SSD. For less used games.
  • Overclock the CPU. Only replace if you are doing more than just gaming such as streaming your gaming.
  • If needed add more RAM.

Reactions: harry_46
Solution

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Yeah it was recently my birthday and I have no idea what to do with some of the money and I've got loads saved from work that I'm not spending on much other than the normal phone monthly payments and stuff. velocityg4 suggested those upgrades and that's all I was looking for thanks man. You think my specs are compatible with a 2080ti as well as any of the other suggestions?

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
do you guys think I could get a new monitor, run an RTX 2080 and use my other 1070 for a second monitor? or is that also pointless and I should just run the 1070 on two monitors.