Upgrades for My Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start off, I will say that my laptop was bought 1 year ago for $300 new.

It is an Acer Aspire with Intel Core i3-5015U (2.1 GHz), 4GB DDR3, HD 5500 Integrated, 500GB Hard Drive, and Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I had a plan to sell this laptop and to build a PC but that would put me at $400 of additional costs, but I decided against it. I use the laptop for school work and light gaming (CS:GO, Insurgency etc) therefore I want nice upgrades.

So far I am thinking of getting a 240GB Sandisk SSD and additional 4GB stick.

Is there anything else I can do and are my choices wise?

Solution
First, you need to verify the Acer is capable of being upgraded. Many of the newer units have soldered in HD's and RAM.

Also, I'd suggest upgrading in RAM equal pairs. For instance, if you have (1) 4gb RAM chip, I'd add another (1) 4gb RAM chip for a total of 8gb. Chances are if you currently have 4gb now, then you probably have (2) 2gb chips. For best performance, you don't want to do (1)2gb and (1)4gb for 6gb total. So you'll probably need to scrap the (2)2gb in favor of (2)4gb chips and increase to 8gb RAM total.

Keep in mind, computers will have a maximum limit you can upgrade. Just because you want (and can buy) up to 64gb RAM doesn't mean your computer will support it. The Acer site should have the max RAM capacity listed...

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
First, you need to verify the Acer is capable of being upgraded. Many of the newer units have soldered in HD's and RAM.

Also, I'd suggest upgrading in RAM equal pairs. For instance, if you have (1) 4gb RAM chip, I'd add another (1) 4gb RAM chip for a total of 8gb. Chances are if you currently have 4gb now, then you probably have (2) 2gb chips. For best performance, you don't want to do (1)2gb and (1)4gb for 6gb total. So you'll probably need to scrap the (2)2gb in favor of (2)4gb chips and increase to 8gb RAM total.

Keep in mind, computers will have a maximum limit you can upgrade. Just because you want (and can buy) up to 64gb RAM doesn't mean your computer will support it. The Acer site should have the max RAM capacity listed somewhere. Obviously stay at the max or lower; otherwise, you are jut pissing money away.

Hands down, adding more RAM was one of the best things I did for my own MBP. I added my own and it wasn't hard, but anytime you open up a computer you need to careful and use anti-static caution.

I haven't upgraded my HDD to a SDD yet, but that is next on my list. Again, make sure you get the right type for your specific computer and use common sense. Do some benchmarks before and after, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Solution

I know my Laptop is upgradable since Acer pumped out a lot of laptops with the same exact look and mildly different specs in the $250-400 range. It is an Aspire E15 so everything is upgradeable.

I checked with software - there is only a single 4GB stick of RAM and 2 RAM slots so I can easily put a second stick in there (I will buy one with the voltage, speed, timing etc.).

HDD --> SSD seems like the easiest part since any 2.5" drive will works so I picked the best cheapest one which the the 240GB from Sandisk.

I checked a while ago and my laptop's max is 16GB which is not needed in anyway. 8GB is just fine - it will allow me to have 6GB of RAM and I will dedicate the other 2GB to video memory.

I have been into PC Building - helped out my friends and was the builder and showcaser in my Computer Club therefore I know where to look and how stuff works. This is one of my few experiences with laptops so thats why I am asking.

SSD + additional 4GB seems like the only thing that will work. Anything past that will not bring any more life to my laptop. Past that point, I will need to update drivers, mess with graphics settings, try to dedicate more video memory in games etc.

Am I correct?

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
LOL, the fact you have an Acer and they produced X for $Y has absolutely zero bearing on the upgrades available to your computer.

I have an Apple and spent $1000 on mine. The brand and dollars spent doesn't mean squat or make it superior.

Based on the Crucial details it appears your planned upgrades are reasonable.

Some thoughts:

1. For the small price difference why not replace the current 4gb chip with 2x8gb and max the system to 16gb?

2. Is a 240gb drive big enough? Depends on you but it's not even a consideration for me. For me 750gb is my minimum. As a builder you should know running at near max capacity will slow down your system.

3. As pointed out, be realistic with your expectations. RAM and SSD isn't going to convert a smart car into a Ferrari. You're just going to have a faster smart car.

1. Because who the <mod edit> needs 16GB for integrated graphics and an i3 system?

2. Yes, it is enough. It is HD 5500. I can't play anything intensive. Game size isn't GTA-like.

3. I am going to quote myself here: "I have been into PC Building - helped out my friends and was the builder and showcaser in my Computer Club therefore I know where to look and how stuff works. This is one of my few experiences with laptops so thats why I am asking."

I know what SSD and RAM give me, do not worry. I wanted to know if there is anything else done on the hardware side besides that.

Also, the reason I said the price of my laptop is so people know what to expect. I listed the specs in the original post which are mediocre.

<Watch your language in these forums>
<You have been warned previously>

Status
Not open for further replies.