[SOLVED] Upgrades for super cheap outdated build ?

May 27, 2022
Hi all, i want to ask is changing from core duo e8500 to core 2 quad q9500 is considered an upgrade or downgrade?or is it the same... im gonna pair it with 8gb(2x4)ram, g41 motherboard chipset and a gt730 gd5 2gb (i find one for $60 is that a good deal or no?).

Thats it, thanks in advance and sorry if my english is bad lol, not my first language..

Solution
Yeah, the GT730 was a wierd card and nvidia played plenty of tricks with it due to its popularity with pre-built vendors. There were a bunch of different versions, the DDR3 was basically no better than a GT710. Make double sure it's a verified GDDR5.

Lga775 was a royal pain for ram. It had to be the exact right combination. Many Asus boards would accept dual sided low density in a single stick, 4Gb, but would not accept 2x sticks in the same channel unless they were single sided, which meant 2Gb sticks. Simply could not deal with Dual Channel, Dual Rank, had to be Dual Channel Single rank or Single Channel Dual Rank.

LGA1156/1155 changed All of that, is the basis of any board now upto DDR4.
Hi all, i want to ask is changing from core duo e8500 to core 2 quad q9500 is considered an upgrade or downgrade?or is it the same... im gonna pair it with 8gb(2x4)ram, g41 motherboard chipset
and gt730 gd5 2gb (i find one for $60 is that a good deal or no?).

Thats it thanks in advance and sorry if my english is bad lol, not my first language..
It's an upgrade and make sure you have sufficient cooling for 9500 since its pretty hot. its a good deal i guess, 730 ddr5 is plenty for budget build, even if it doesnt do much. or else try to find HD 7770, R7 350, R7 260/260x/360 .

Reactions: Nickyas
May 27, 2022
It's an upgrade and make sure you have sufficient cooling for 9500 since its pretty hot. its a good deal i guess, 730 ddr5 is plenty for budget build, even if it doesnt do much. or else try to find HD 7770, R7 350, R7 260/260x/360 .

Much appriciated!!, i'll be on the lookout for the gpu you provided. . . . thanks again!!!

It's an upgrade and make sure you have sufficient cooling for 9500 since its pretty hot.

I guess tower cooler is the choice yeah?.
I Have flower style cooler in my previous build
with 2 Intakes fan and one exhaust fan in my case, would that be enough?.
Sorry for asking again but thank you very much for the info you give :D

Last edited:
Much appriciated!!, i'll be on the lookout for the gpu you provided. . . . thanks again!!!

I guess tower cooler is the choice yeah?.
I Have flower style cooler in my previous build
with 2 Intakes fan and one exhaust fan in my case, would that be enough?.
Sorry for asking again but thank you very much for the info you give :D
Well a 90mm tower cooler should be plenty, but a 120mm ones is also okay (just make sure to check review on your choice and make sure its lga 775 compatible), since you could re use it once you upgrade to a much better system.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Be careful of the ram. All of the C2D G41 chipset boards required low density Intel ram and there were very, very few such sticks in existence, I believe only a few models by Samsung came in 4Gb size low density. It wasn't until Sandy/Ivy-Bridge cpu boards that high density ram could be used. Almost all other low density ram sticks that would work in those C2D boards was max 2Gb per stick.

You'll also need to check with your mobo manufacture, because on many boards the maximum compatible ram was 8Gb total for all 4 slots, 4Gb per channel.

It wasn't so much a physical limit as lackluster vendor limits since x86 OS like Win95, Win98, all the way to WinXp could only use 3.5Gb of ram, so there was no need to put extra effort into making boards handle more than 4Gb of ram.

May 27, 2022
Be careful of the ram. All of the C2D G41 chipset boards required low density Intel ram and there were very, very few such sticks in existence, I believe only a few models by Samsung came in 4Gb size low density. It wasn't until Sandy/Ivy-Bridge cpu boards that high density ram could be used. Almost all other low density ram sticks that would work in those C2D boards was max 2Gb per stick.

You'll also need to check with your mobo manufacture, because on many boards the maximum compatible ram was 8Gb total for all 4 slots, 4Gb per channel.

It wasn't so much a physical limit as lackluster vendor limits since x86 OS like Win95, Win98, all the way to WinXp could only use 3.5Gb of ram, so there was no need to put extra effort into making boards handle more than 4Gb of ram.
Oooo thanks for the heads up, im ony want to do some little upgrading on my super old pc, here's the spec :
Mb : msi g41m p28
Cpu : intel core duos E8500 (the one that i want to upgrade)
Ram : two sticks 4gb ram by sk hynix pc-12800 (8 in total)
Psu : 500w no plus or bronze
GPU : gigabyte gt420 2gb ddr3 (want to change it either a asus gt730 gd5 2gb or radeon r7 350 2gb gd5)

Is there a problem if i try to up the cpu with my current components? Thank you for your concern i will keep that in mind!!

Oooo thanks for the heads up, im ony want to do some little upgrading on my super old pc, here's the spec :
Mb : msi g41m p28
Cpu : intel core duos E8500 (the one that i want to upgrade)
Ram : two sticks 4gb ram by sk hynix pc-12800 (8 in total)
Psu : 500w no plus or bronze
GPU : gigabyte gt420 2gb ddr3 (want to change it either a asus gt730 gd5 2gb or radeon r7 350 2gb gd5)

Is there a problem if i try to up the cpu with my current components? Thank you for your concern i will keep that in mind!!
as long as the mobo does support 4gb of ram, it should ne fine, if u used the 2x4gb no prob with E8500, then i see no prob with Q9500.

always remember that amd only ddr3 should not be put on intel as they use 11 bit adressing which support greater density but intel only support 10 bit adressing.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi all, i want to ask is changing from core duo e8500 to core 2 quad q9500 is considered an upgrade or downgrade?or is it the same... im gonna pair it with 8gb(2x4)ram, g41 motherboard chipset and a gt730 gd5 2gb (i find one for $60 is that a good deal or no?).

Thats it, thanks in advance and sorry if my english is bad lol, not my first language..

my old pc is probably just as old as your pc. :)
Q9500 is an upgrade. Actually, have upgraded my e8400 to a Q9500 a year ago and the pc became a little better in certain games after that.

is the GT 730 brand new or used? Be careful when buying used gpu, make sure it does not have problems. GT 730 should be good for some light gaming.
although if you would spend just a little more money, a GT 1030 would be much better investment. A 1030 is faster, and it still has driver support from Nvidia.
____

Nvidia has ended driver support for 700 series gpu.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, the GT730 was a wierd card and nvidia played plenty of tricks with it due to its popularity with pre-built vendors. There were a bunch of different versions, the DDR3 was basically no better than a GT710. Make double sure it's a verified GDDR5.

Lga775 was a royal pain for ram. It had to be the exact right combination. Many Asus boards would accept dual sided low density in a single stick, 4Gb, but would not accept 2x sticks in the same channel unless they were single sided, which meant 2Gb sticks. Simply could not deal with Dual Channel, Dual Rank, had to be Dual Channel Single rank or Single Channel Dual Rank.

LGA1156/1155 changed All of that, is the basis of any board now upto DDR4.

Last edited:
Solution