[SOLVED] Upgrades For Video Editing

May 4, 2020
ok so I edit on a dell Optiplex 3010 mt it has an i5 3470 (4 core 4 thread) with 8gb ddr3 1600 mhz and a gtx 1050ti, now obviously 4 threads and 4 cores isn't that good for video editing but I only make short edits like 10-sec clips so it isn't an issue, however, I was wonder if there are any worthy upgrades to make my editing easier for 1080p 60fps or should i just keep saving for a new rig that have in mind (the cpu for the new rig has 6 corse 12 threads).p.s I have a 120gb ssd with a 1tb hdd.

Ralston18

Titan
Is the OS on that 120 SSD? How full is the SSD?

A 240 SSD is very likely to make a difference. Doubling RAM also.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to observe system performance.

First without editing and then while editing.

Determine what resources are being used and to what extent.

And look at your editing software. Most software applications list hardware requirements in some form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford and will work with your computer.

May 4, 2020
Is the OS on that 120 SSD? How full is the SSD?

A 240 SSD is very likely to make a difference. Doubling RAM also.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to observe system performance.

First without editing and then while editing.

Determine what resources are being used and to what extent.

And look at your editing software. Most software applications list hardware requirements in some form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford and will work with your computer.
From what I can find shortcut requires:
Operating system: 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 - 10, Apple macOS 10.10 - 10.15, or 64-bit Linux with at least glibc 2.19.
CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD, and 4 cores for 4K. (the i5 has 4 cores 3.20ghz)
GPU: OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers. We do not have a list. (the gtx 1050 ti supports OpenGL 2.0 DirectX 11)
RAM: At least 4 GB for SD, 8 GB for HD, and 16 GB for 4K.(i have 8gb)