Question Upgrades needed! CPU, Ram, and Motherboard

Aug 13, 2019
I need to upgrade my ram, CPU and motherboard as my system was getting dated and my graphics card wasn't working properly with my old system.
I built the system around 7 years ago so am still running a DDR3 1150 motherboard and a 4th gen i5-4460.

I currently have a budget of around £350/£400 and am not sure whether to go for an Intel CPU or an AMD. I have a VS650 PSU and a Cooler Master MB520 case in which I've already got some RGB fans and light strips, so anything motherboard and ram wise that has RGB would be ideal.

Any suggestions on how I should budget each component would be amazing, even some links if anyone could help.

Thank you

I need to upgrade my ram, CPU and motherboard as my system was getting dated and my graphics card wasn't working properly with my old system.
I built the system around 7 years ago so am still running a DDR3 1150 motherboard and a 4th gen i5-4460.

I currently have a budget of around £350/£400 and am not sure whether to go for an Intel CPU or an AMD. I have a VS650 PSU and a Cooler Master MB520 case in which I've already got some RGB fans and light strips, so anything motherboard and ram wise that has RGB would be ideal.

Any suggestions on how I should budget each component would be amazing, even some links if anyone could help.

Thank you

Something like this will do you fine:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£118.97 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.85 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£82.50 @ Aria PC)
Total: £281.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-23 15:21 BST+0100

I've gone for R2600 instead of 3600, which is about £70 more expensive, The 2600 would be a nice step up, and will go well for another few years.

What GPU have you got?

Aug 13, 2019
Thank you for such a quick reply.

I was thinking the 2600 as it looked like a good CPU for the price - Think this is what I will go for.

As for the RAM, I was looking at the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2 X 8GB) - is this any good or just more money for the RGB?

And motherboard looks fantastic to me.

As for my GPU - I had an MSI R9 270, but upgraded to a second hand R9 390. I do a lot of flight simming and the 2GB of VRAM on my old card was struggling with textures. Need to upgrade as the 390 was cutting display out and the repair shop said my motherboard was faulty - hence all of the upgrades. Card itself is fine though as has been tested in another system.