Upgrades Needed to Run TW Warhammer

Ridcully

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
I recently bought Warhammer and found my set up struggles to run it. I know I have an easy option in increasing the RAM memory, which will help, but I suspect I need to buy a new graphics card as well. So I am after some suggestions as to what card would be compatible and what else I might need to do please? I have a very low budget, so please bear that in mind. Cheers!

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, 3210 MHz x 4
RAM - 4gb
Radeon HD5700
Motherboard P7P55D LE
Bios is an AMI version 2003 16/12/2010

Solution
And with just the old card plugged in, it had the same symptoms of startup then freeze? That's very strange. Is there any chance some other component got jostled during installation? RAM for example? I'd check every connection and make sure the card is properly seated. But honestly, the old GPU no longer working is worrisome.

Ridcully

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015

£100-£200 but I don't want to spend too much if I'm not going to get sufficient return in performance and longevity. Thanks for the reply.

Ridcully

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015

Without access to the PC I won't know all the specs but the PSU is a steathxstream2 with at least 400 watt with a 6 pin connector, according to a little booklet I have.

I hope I'm not going to be told the 1060 is incompatible with my system now. I've got an extremely low budget available and I'm no PC expert.

I really need some good advice to get this PC working again. Cheers.

Ridcully

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015

I'm using an old laptop to post on. Unfortunately the old card wouldn't work either.

Ridcully

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015

No. It's not linked up to the PC.

Back to the problem. I tried reverting to the old card but that made no difference. The 1060 is in PC at moment. I have an LG TV monitor and I can get to an ASUS start up screen but the PC then fails to start. I can choose to boot from a disc or an external hard drive with an iso win 10 image but the screen gets to please wait and appears to then freeze.

Ridcully

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015

The former not the latter. The only card in the PC now is the 1060.

And with just the old card plugged in, it had the same symptoms of startup then freeze? That's very strange. Is there any chance some other component got jostled during installation? RAM for example? I'd check every connection and make sure the card is properly seated. But honestly, the old GPU no longer working is worrisome.

Solution

Ridcully

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015

Did as you suggested and checked the connections and found one of the RAM sticks wasn't seated properly. Now 1060 is working fine and TW Rome 2 looks fantastic.

Not keen on the Nivda Control Panel and I am experimenting on getting some of non-gaming graphics looking better e.g text looking sharper. Any tips?

Anyway thanks for the advice from the 2 contributors to the thread. Much appreciated, although I did get worried for a while.

Blurry text can be caused by so many things, and Windows hides its settings all over the place. First off just make sure that you're running your monitor at its native resolution. Then see if you're using any sort of display scaling or zooming or custom text dpi to make text larger. Some combinations of settings work well, some don't, and it can a bit of trial and error. There are also some clear type settings, smooth font edges and so forth that can sometimes cause problems.

This doesn't even cover the Nvidia settings, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with them to offer much advice.

TRENDING THREADS