Question Upgrades or New Build?

May 22, 2020
Hi, my computer is pretty old now (I think maybe 6+ years old apart from the GPU which I got for christmas however it's the cheapest version of that gpu you can get) and my pc just feels like it's starting to get pretty slow at booting up into windows when i turn my pc on and when I launch games like WoW, loading screens take forever and when I do get into the game it takes like 5 minutes for all the ui elements and parts of the game world to fully load before I can even do anything and when playing games I sometimes get stutters or like everything will stop for a second then suddenly start happening again and I can't even play the newest CoD on the lowest settings.

The fact that the current gpus, cpus, motherboards etc have been out for a while now I don't know if it's worth me doing a full new build or if I could fix my current issue by just upgrading some parts for now untill the next lot of new cpus, gpus and motherboards etc come out and then building a new pc?

My current specs are as follows:

Motherboard: ASRock z97 Anniversary
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k CPU @ 3.50GHz
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660ti Asus Dual OC Edition
Storage: Seagate Barracude ST1000DM003, 1TB SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Disk Drive
Memory: HyperX 8GB DDR3 - 1866 CL10 (2x4GB) RAM
PSU: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze (None modular, inside my tower is like a spaghetti mayham)
Primary monitor for games: Acer XF240H 1080p 144hz
Secondary monitor for internet etc: 1440p 60hz

This was my first ever pc build, a friend helped me build it so i'm not too clued up when it comes to pc building and parts which is why i've come here to seek some help.
Appreciate any and all help please and thankyou :)

thelastwinchester

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
You cannot upgrade at all. That's pretty old.
If you can't afford a new build, then just slap an SSD and install your OS and games on it. The loading times will be much much quicker. You would need an SSD even for a new build either way. So buy a Samsung 500GB SSD and check if you're fine with it and then go from there.

May 22, 2020
Well when I eventually did a new build I am going to go with having 2 nvme m2 ssds, one for my os and drivers and just like screenshots and things I save on notepad the other one for my games. I was just wondering if there's anything I can temporarily upgrade for now to fix my problems while I wait for the next new lot of pc things to come out at which point i'll build a new pc from scratch.