[SOLVED] Upgrades to budget pc

Mar 25, 2021
About 5 or so years ago I built a pc for the first time and managed to get, what I would consider, a pretty good setup for only around $800 bucks. I'm looking to upgrade it now so I can play games like tarkov smoother with better graphics.
Here are my specs
Evga 850 power supply
Hyper x 8gb ram x2
Radeon r9 270x
Amd fx(tm)-6300 6 core processor
Asus m5a78l-m/usb3 motherboard
1tb hard drive, I couldn't tell you who makes it

Any advice would be appreciated I don't really know that much about these things.

Solution
Well, we can't do much about the GPU. You won't like current prices. There are options like a used GTX970/980, but those are rapidly shooting up in the several hundred dollar range.

As for the core system. Easily done within a similar budget, if you have more to spend, there are better options.

AMD Ryzen 3600
B450 motherboard
2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Shiny new M.2 SSD

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, we can't do much about the GPU. You won't like current prices. There are options like a used GTX970/980, but those are rapidly shooting up in the several hundred dollar range.

As for the core system. Easily done within a similar budget, if you have more to spend, there are better options.

AMD Ryzen 3600
B450 motherboard
2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Shiny new M.2 SSD

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($91.53 @ Amazon)
Total: $471.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-25 12:09 EDT-0400

Reactions: cdrkf
Solution

AMD Ryzen 3600
B450 motherboard
2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Shiny new M.2 SSD

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($91.53 @ Amazon)
Total: $471.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-25 12:09 EDT-0400

I was about the write similar - no point looking at a GPU at the moment as prices are silly. The above system upgrade is a good option, the bump in cpu power should really help smooth out gameplay vs the FX although by keeping the R9 270X your average fps will probably be similar. Switching to an NVME drive will also help by improving load times and help avoid hitches when assets load in so I think it would be worth it. It's also a strong platform to build on in the future.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119385
ASUS PRIME B560M-A $109.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
Intel Core i5-10400F $150.99

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-0-761345-10923-9-A40PRO/dp/B01HLAB80C
Antec A40 Pro Processor Cooler $27.99

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232884
G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 CL16 Intel XMP 2.0 Memory Kit $75.99

https://www.newegg.com/team-group-1tb-cx2/p/N82E16820331561
Team Group CX2 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal SSD $83.99

Total: $449

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021
I really appreciate you all! So the general consensus seems to be that the only thing worth keeping is the case and power supply. Also would the ssd completely replace the hard drive or just be an add on to it.? What would happen if I were just to replace the graphics card first and then go for everything else at a later time?

Reactions: Why_Me
I really appreciate you all! So the general consensus seems to be that the only thing worth keeping is the case and power supply. Also would the ssd completely replace the hard drive or just be an add on to it.? What would happen if I were just to replace the graphics card first and then go for everything else at a later time?
Use both hard drives .. SSD and mechanical. Put your OS, browser and games on the SSD and use your existing HD for storage ... pics, vids, etc ... As far as replacing your gpu first .. you might want to wait a bit to see how the prices / availability shake out here in the next few months.

Mar 25, 2021
Use both hard drives .. SSD and mechanical. Put your OS, browser and games on the SSD and use your existing HD for storage ... pics, vids, etc ... As far as replacing your gpu first .. you might want to wait a bit to see how the prices / availability shake out here in the next few months.
Thank you again for the clarification! And like I said I'm pretty new to all this, I just used a video guide to build the one I have, but is the wild fluctuation in gpu prices a normal thing ?

This is the worst gpu situation ever. It's beyond bad atm. Crypto miners are the debil.

To be honest it's not just crypto miners.... a large combination of problems have all happened in a short space of time...

US trade blocks against China have caused supply issues for some components (this has now been corrected but will take time to sort out), release of next gen consoles, the global pandemic (which has hurt supply and increased demand due to so many people being in lockdown) and also another Crypto mining boom....

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Even the Quadros and Firepros are being scooped up from what I can tell. The previous generations of those are sitting at roughly the current market price of the available RTX and RX cards. Seems everyone's limit is about $1000 for a decent 1440p GPU, and mid-range and entry level cards are around $3-400 suitable for 1080p.

About the only 'GPU' you can get near retail is the GT1030 ~$110. Which was never a good cost/performance ratio. (And I have one, passively cooled for my HTPC) The vastly better RX550 is going for $250...which is RX580/RX590 territory...

What is your budget?
I would not spend a dime on a FX system that could not be carried forward to a new build.
While you have 8 cores, they are abysmally slow by today's standards.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think a better graphics card is in order, you are out of luck.
Your r9 270x is about as strong as a current GTX1050,
You might find a RX570 or 580 for a decent price.
Current gen cards of any strength are all but unavailable at less than 2x MSRP.

If you want a stronger cpu, then there is good news,
A simple $110 i3-10100 is about twice the capability of your FX-6300.
A LGA1200 motherboard is about $75 and a 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit might be $75.
You can go stronger, I would want to see what intel 11th gen brings next week.
That said, the i3-10100 is no slouch as a budget gamer.
It competes with a 3600x
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

The one thing which I would do asap is to convert to a ssd for windows.
A 1tb ssd will be $110-$130.
It will make everything you do feel much quicker.
While a new motherboard will be able to use a m.2 pcie device with impressive sequential speeds, the actuality is that the random performance of any ssd is what matters.
If you want to upgrade your current system, buy a 1tb Samsung 860 EVO and use the ssd migration app to move all to the new ssd.
Repurpose your HDD as an external backup or as added bulk storage.

Co BIY

Splendid
Just upgrading your HD to an SSD may improve your computer's general performance enough to allow you to wait out this crazy hardware market. It added years of usefulness to my i3-2120. It also satisfies a "need to upgrade".

I like the Crucial MX500 for the value/performance mix and this could easily move to your new build in a year or two as either the primary or as a storage drive. But any SSD will radically change how the current computer "feels".

While Intel prices seem pretty good right now I think bigger drops may come when AMD CPU volume improves and Rocket Lake is fully in the market.

Also I would not buy any Intel F chips without integrated graphics unless I had a known good graphics card in my hand. A couple of bucks to get one with functional integrated graphics seems worth it to me.

Mar 25, 2021
What is your budget?
I would not spend a dime on a FX system that could not be carried forward to a new build.
While you have 8 cores, they are abysmally slow by today's standards.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think a better graphics card is in order, you are out of luck.
Your r9 270x is about as strong as a current GTX1050,
You might find a RX570 or 580 for a decent price.
Current gen cards of any strength are all but unavailable at less than 2x MSRP.

If you want a stronger cpu, then there is good news,
A simple $110 i3-10100 is about twice the capability of your FX-6300.
A LGA1200 motherboard is about $75 and a 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit might be $75.
You can go stronger, I would want to see what intel 11th gen brings next week.
That said, the i3-10100 is no slouch as a budget gamer.
It competes with a 3600x
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

The one thing which I would do asap is to convert to a ssd for windows.
A 1tb ssd will be $110-$130.
It will make everything you do feel much quicker.
While a new motherboard will be able to use a m.2 pcie device with impressive sequential speeds, the actuality is that the random performance of any ssd is what matters.
If you want to upgrade your current system, buy a 1tb Samsung 860 EVO and use the ssd migration app to move all to the new ssd.
Repurpose your HDD as an external backup or as added bulk storage.

Thank you for the info, I suppose I don't have any specific set budget. I make quite a bit more than when I was 18. I just don't get too much free time and so I'd rather not spend more than I have to, seeing as how I only play a few hours a week.
That's an awesome tip on the cpu vs graphics card issue! I'll try it as soon as I get the time and post the results here.

Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful