Upgrades to my PC

woahwoahwilly

Honorable
Jan 18, 2018
OH COME ON!

I go and start thinking of buying this new PC and then Dad tells me to just upgrade the one I have,

Waste of time putting that system together.

Anyways, I want to start playing more games. Dying Light, maybe some more shooters, get into modding more, the stuff. So I have an upgrade list.

Dad has dual 970s in SLI in his computer. He said he'd get me one when I upgrade the power supply. Since the GTX 970 REQUIRES a 500W power supply or more, I used Cooler Master's wattage calculator. 508 watts. So I looked at a new PSU.

First question: Is the Corsair TX650M a good PSU to upgrade to?

Second question: Should I sell the prehistoric GTX 460 in my system for maybe 50-100 USD so that I can get a new PSU, or just store it somewhere (like near the new RAM I got for my first build that I made myself, 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM) in case I ever need it or just for bragging rights?

Third question: Planning to get a PCIe SSD. Would I be able to fit it on my motherboard?

Fourth: Should I get an Antec 900 or something like that? Must be ATX. 80MM fans are noticeably loud and that's what my current PC uses. So should I get a better case? One that doesn't use prehistoric 80MM fans for almost everything?

CPU: Intel Core i5 760
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1066 or 1600 (used to be 16GB but a stick stopped working)
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
PSU: Rocketfish RF-500W PS2
HDD: Seagate 250GB SATA 6GB/S
HDD2: Samsung 160GB SATA 6GB/S

Those are my currents.

Don't plan to upgrade to an i7, so don't even ask. Never was a fan of the i7 anyways; the things I do would make it a $50-$100 piece of equipment that won't improve performance much for me, and that $50-$100 could've been spent on better things.

Solution

if you are using 508W you will want a 750W class PSU or higher. a 600-650W PSU will be running at near capacity all the time, the closer to the edge a PSU runs the less efficient/hotter it is. your load should be 1/2-2/3 of the PSU max rating.
if you do not mind the looks there are fan adapters that will let you mount a...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
couple questions. the 508W is your consumption, or the suggested wattage PSU to get? what is the total upgrade budget? your dad will give you one of the 970's?

a PCIe SSD would fit but it will not be bootable. if you want windows on the SSD get a SATA 2.5inch model, 240GB class or larger, smaller drivers are slower.

1. A TX650M is a good PSU. I would recommend this Seasonic one that has more wattage for the same and a mail in rebate.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.04 @ Newegg)
Total: $58.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-18 14:54 EDT-0400

I would sell anything you don't need IF you can use the money to improve your system. If You are just going to blow the money then having a back up just in case might be your best option.

As stated, pcie SSD is non bootable so i would just get a sata SSD for now.

woahwoahwilly

Honorable
Jan 18, 2018

508W consumption. Under full load, but I'm not taking chances with the PSU I have now.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

if you are using 508W you will want a 750W class PSU or higher. a 600-650W PSU will be running at near capacity all the time, the closer to the edge a PSU runs the less efficient/hotter it is. your load should be 1/2-2/3 of the PSU max rating.
if you do not mind the looks there are fan adapters that will let you mount a 120MM on the mounting for 80MM. IDK if this will work but FYI. example only
https://www.amazon.com/Nexus-80mm-92mm-120mm-Converter/dp/B002C7IQ1O.

Solution