antisphere

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Ok here is my problem, i do not know what to do.
Do i wait for the 7000 series to be released (by then i will have a bit more saved up) or upgrade now from a 5850 to what ever card. I have only 200$ to spend at the moment and my power supply does not support 4x6+2 pin power connectors so i cannot buy another 5850 and crosffire.
Will take any suggestions as long as they stay within the price range.
The game i am trying to aim to max out with out aa on 1920x1080 is skyrim I will be playing this game for the next 5-6 years and being able to run it on max settings would be nice.

Solution
You would be best off waiting. The best cards you can afford would be the Radeon HD 6870 and the GTX 560, both of which perform about the same as your 5850 under most circumstances. The 6870 and 560 are a little bit faster in DirectX 11 than the 5850, but not to the extent that it would be worth the money for the upgrade, not to mention the fact there aren't a lot of DX11 games out right now.
why get a 6870? its slightly faster than the 5850. be patient, especially if you can wait for the next series. the smaller process will be more power efficient and cooler for the performance you will get out of them as well as have a bigger budget to get something more high end when they release.

You would be best off waiting. The best cards you can afford would be the Radeon HD 6870 and the GTX 560, both of which perform about the same as your 5850 under most circumstances. The 6870 and 560 are a little bit faster in DirectX 11 than the 5850, but not to the extent that it would be worth the money for the upgrade, not to mention the fact there aren't a lot of DX11 games out right now.

Solution
Even a heavily overclocked 560ti would not be a worthwhile upgrade. That would be a 15 percent improvement over a 5850 at best and really would not be worth $250 or so that it would cost to get one. Over a 5850, the only possibly worthwhile upgrade aside from Crossfire, which the OP can't do would be a GTX 580, which is way above the OP's current budget

+1 that 5850 will be fine until the new series comes out.