• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

upgrading 32 bit vista home premium to 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool 36

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
hi everyone. I want to upgrade from vista home premium 32 bit to vista home premium 64 bit. i've searched the internet and microsofts website but I can't get easy instructions on how to do this. I don't understand the instructions on microsofts website at all and I don't know a lot about computers. my computer came with 32 bit home premium vista built in. can anyone give me easy instructions for upgrading to 64 bit and what I need to buy.

There are no instructions how to upgrade because you cannot upgrade: At the core, the two operating systems are different. You will have to do a clean install.

Regardless, 'upgrading' OS's is pretty messy and can often leave garbage behind, leading to random issues.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Scotteq is right. If you have an OEM, you must buy the x64 OEM or retail.

If you have a retail version, you can order for free the x64 CD but must pay like 10$ for the shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.