[SOLVED] Upgrading 3700X to 5900X or 5800X3D for 4K gaming worth it?

Mar 9, 2022
Hello

I have a ryzen 3700x that boosts to 4.4ghz with an OCed 2080 Ti. I game at 4K 3840x2160, will I see any fps increase by upgrading to 5900X or 5800X3D especially in 1% min fps?

Specifically in Cod Vanguard during fire and explosions my fps drops below 60fps, will the 5900x make it better?
P.s. I use 4x8gb 3600mhz c16 b die ram

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
The 3700x is capable of much higher minimum fps than you are getting, mine never went under 120fps at 1440p with a 3080. I expect the gpu is causing those drops, not the cpu.
Mar 9, 2022
The 3700x is capable of much higher minimum fps than you are getting, mine never went under 120fps at 1440p with a 3080. I expect the gpu is causing those drops, not the cpu.
So you never drop under 120fps in Call of duty Vanguard online max graphics settings? My gpu is at 99% when fps drop happens during thermites fire and explosions. I read online that others have the same issue, they said to lower texture quality.

So you never drop under 120fps in Call of duty Vanguard online max graphics settings? My gpu is at 99% when fps drop happens during thermites fire and explosions. I read online that others have the same issue, they said to lower texture quality.
I have tweaked a few settings and DLSS set to performance. Also RT is off. There are settings if I remember correctly for explosion detail.

Reactions: Hitman2022

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My gpu is at 99% when fps drop happens
Exactly. Gpu is underpowered for the resolution and graphical details levels at 4k.

Cpu makes the frames. It compiles all the data, Ai, objects, dimensions, colors, shading, particle vectors, info for a single frame into a packet and ships it to the gpu. The amount of times it can do that in 1 second is the fps.

Then it's on the gpu to decipher all that info for that frame, make a wire frame model of all the objects, add colors, lighting affects etc, render all that together according to resolution. The amount of times the gpu can do that in 1 second is the fps you get on screen.

Since the gpu does not make frames, only paints what it gets, sometimes it can do more than what the cpu sends, sometimes it does less. The higher the resolution, the longer the final render takes, the lower the fps output.

You could run CoD on a 1600 and get the same fps onscreen as a 12900k because the gpu is the limiting factor at 4k, not the fps delivered by the cpu. At 1080p its usually just the opposite with a 2080ti.

Mar 9, 2022
You guys are right, upgrading my CPU won't do much. I either have to upgrade my gpu or turn down explosion and fire graphics settings (I will do this). I am currently using DLSS Quality in CoD. I want to hold on my 2080 Ti until next gen gpus are released and when they are priced reasonably at msrp or close. I got this 2080 Ti in 2019 used and its fine for 4K 60fps DLSS quality. Thanks!

Reactions: DMAN999
You guys are right, upgrading my CPU won't do much. I either have to upgrade my gpu or turn down explosion and fire graphics settings (I will do this). I am currently using DLSS Quality in CoD. I want to hold on my 2080 Ti until next gen gpus are released and when they are priced reasonably at msrp or close. I got this 2080 Ti in 2019 used and its fine for 4K 60fps DLSS quality. Thanks!
Definitely try tweaking settings and different DLSS settings. I expect you won’t be able to tell any difference in detail while playing but your fps will go up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Change individual settings not the preset as a whole. So you'd set it at high or ultra for instance, then lower the ambient occlusion or AA or grass details etc to medium. If you run msi Afterburner with on screen display, you can do repeat area and see the results of each change. Some settings have little fps impact, some like the lighting affects on clouds have a massive impact, yet very little if any visual impact with ultra-medium change.

Mar 9, 2022
Change individual settings not the preset as a whole. So you'd set it at high or ultra for instance, then lower the ambient occlusion or AA or grass details etc to medium. If you run msi Afterburner with on screen display, you can do repeat area and see the results of each change. Some settings have little fps impact, some like the lighting affects on clouds have a massive impact, yet very little if any visual impact with ultra-medium change.
Yea I disabled volumetric clouds in Assassin Creed Odyssey and Valhalla, got a 20% fps boost. I followed a settings optimization video on youtube but never thought about doing it for CoD.

Hello

I have a ryzen 3700x that boosts to 4.4ghz with an OCed 2080 Ti. I game at 4K 3840x2160, will I see any fps increase by upgrading to 5900X or 5800X3D especially in 1% min fps?

Specifically in Cod Vanguard during fire and explosions my fps drops below 60fps, will the 5900x make it better?
P.s. I use 4x8gb 3600mhz c16 b die ram

Thanks

check your .1% lows at 1080P....; if there are no issues there, then the CPU is not at fault for 'too low .1% lows'...