Upgrading 5 year-old computer, i5-4670k and gtx770

JennyDS

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Hi!

It's been 4 or 5 since I first built my first computer. It's had its problems but we've survived them all, but now I want an upgrade. I'm rocking these components atm:

i5-4670k
Cooler Master - Hyper 212
MSI Z87-G45
Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3-1600
Samsung 850 - 500gb
Toshiba 1tb
Evga gtx770, 4gb
Corsair 450D
Corsair CX750W 80+ Bronze

Im mostly looking at upgrading the cpu, gpu and perhaps the power supply. I'm open for any ideas and there is no set budget (but I would want to be realistic, I am a student). I was thinking of getting a 1060 but not so sure about the cpu. What do you think?

Solution
personally i'd not bother with the cpu right now. still a good cpu that would pair nicely with something like a 1060. your psu is more than enough for a new gpu so it does not need to be replaced either.

since your budget is healthy, i'd look at maybe a 1070 now and then a new cpu/mobo/ram combo next year or two. i'm still rocking a 4690k and don't feel any need to upgrade myself either. gonna get a new gpu soon to replace the 280 i have now and know i'll be good for another couple years easy.

hopefully by then ddr4 prices may be coming down more.

Would help to have a budget to work with.

Note that changing the CPU will also mean changing the motherboard amd consequently the RAM as well. (6th Gen Intel CPUs and newer require new motherboards, which can only support DDR4 RAM).

So I'd suggest putting a budget.

JennyDS

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

hm, if that is necessary i'm guessing the budget can't be too small. I would say something like 500 for the gpu and a new cpu, but then an extra 100 ro 200 for ram and motherboard. Would you say it is necessary to upgrade the i5? some say it isn't and others do. Im then setting the budget as 600 if I would change the motherboard and ram.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
personally i'd not bother with the cpu right now. still a good cpu that would pair nicely with something like a 1060. your psu is more than enough for a new gpu so it does not need to be replaced either.

since your budget is healthy, i'd look at maybe a 1070 now and then a new cpu/mobo/ram combo next year or two. i'm still rocking a 4690k and don't feel any need to upgrade myself either. gonna get a new gpu soon to replace the 280 i have now and know i'll be good for another couple years easy.

hopefully by then ddr4 prices may be coming down more.

Solution