[SOLVED] upgrading 7 to 10

darrenfay79

Honorable
Nov 18, 2017
im planning to upgrade 7 home 64bit to 10 home 64bit with the in place upgrade option. assuming this is successful will the install be stable? or should i just buy SSDs and do a clean install. i would use the same HDD set up i have now 2x2TB SSD drives. if i can avoid spending any money on this i will but if that isnt an option.........

Solution
im planning to upgrade 7 home 64bit to 10 home 64bit with the in place upgrade option. assuming this is successful will the install be stable? or should i just buy SSDs and do a clean install. i would use the same HDD set up i have now 2x2TB SSD drives. if i can avoid spending any money on this i will but if that isnt an option.........
Assuming it goes OK, it will be stable.

As with ANY major software or hardware upgrade, have a known good backkup and fallback plan before you start.

Where did your Win 7 license come from? This may impact how you do this.
If this was a prebuilt system, in place upgrade.
If a Wn 7 license that you bought, do a full wipe and reinstall, and then apply that WIn 7 license to activate the Win 10.
it's not exactly an "upgrade" in the sense that it is any different from a fresh install.
the drive will be formatted and the latest version of 10 will be installed.
they may still give the option to keep user files & settings but this usually just consists of your personal folders being migrated over; Pictures, Video, Music, etc.

if you have game saves or other files you want to keep in place make sure you back them up first to ensure they're still around for use in 10.

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming it goes OK, it will be stable.

As with ANY major software or hardware upgrade, have a known good backkup and fallback plan before you start.

Where did your Win 7 license come from? This may impact how you do this.
If this was a prebuilt system, in place upgrade.
If a Wn 7 license that you bought, do a full wipe and reinstall, and then apply that WIn 7 license to activate the Win 10.

Solution