[SOLVED] Upgrading a 4690 in 2020

Krishna1999

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Hey guys. So its been almost 6ish years since i purchased my 4690 processor and im toying around with the idea of upgrading it. I was wondering if the i3 10100 would be a sufficient enough upgrade since processors are kinda expensive in india. What do you guys think? If not the 10100 then what other processor would you guys recommend?

Solution
By reduced settings at 1080p, which graphics card are you referring to? Cuz if i say upgrade to a 1660ti with my current build do you think i could achieve the ultra 1080p?

Well take a look at this review of Watch Dog Legions:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/watch-dogs-legion-benchmark

Red Dead Redemption 2, Watch Dog Legions and Cyber Punk 2077 (expected) are considered among the most demanding games. If they barely meet playable performance now, what do you think will happen in 2, 3 years?

5600XT is ever so slightly faster than the 1660Ti due to having faster memory.

The problem is both are limited to 6GB of memory and that will cost you severely in games when you crank of details today, or leave it on "medium"...
Generally I don't think it's enough for an upgrade. i5-4690 (4C /4T) -> i3-10100 (4C / 8T).

Questions: Is this computer mainly for gaming? If so, name the type of games, or three titles that you're interested in playing and at which resolution and frame rate. Also, what's your budget and please link the sit that you plan on purchasing from? Also, please list your existing computer's full specs, including your power supply and monitor's mfg. & model numbers.

Reactions: Krishna1999

Krishna1999

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Generally I don't think it's enough for an upgrade. i5-4690 (4C /4T) -> i3-10100 (4C / 8T).

Questions: Is this computer mainly for gaming? If so, name the type of games, or three titles that you're interested in playing and at which resolution and frame rate. Also, what's your budget and please link the sit that you plan on purchasing from? Also, please list your existing computer's full specs, including your power supply and monitor's mfg. & model numbers.

Thanks a lot for the answer. Well thing is i'm a medical student so honestly idk how much longer i will be able to game. My main game of interests right now would be RDR2, Valhalla, Origins, Odyssey, Watch dogs legion and GTA 6 in the upcoming future. Lets keep resolution at 1080p and at 60 (might be using 1440p but i doubt that)
Thing is yeah this computer is mainly for gaming.

My current build is as follows.
Ive 8 gigs of 1600Mhz RAM,
a Broken GTX 770 ( still gotta check if its fixable) which has been supplanted by my friends GTX 650 (yeah huge downgrade but better than nothing xD) ,
i5 4690 under a corsair h45 cooler,
250gigs SSD,
roughly 2.5 gigs of HDD, (THE STORAGE I CURRENTLY HAVE IS NEW)
a 650W PSU Cooler master
on a h97 motherboard.
Monitor is the Samsung SyncMaster b2030, 900p, but will mostly change that since its sorta 11ish years old?

Its fine tbh but the limiting factor right now is the chassis and RAM. MY h45 fan is literally sitting on a cardboard box outside the system. So thats a definitive change. Will be looking into changing PSU too cuz i think that killed my GTX 770. And RAM. I need more RAM. 12gigs at least. And i dont want to get DDR3. So since i wanna change the RAM i need to change the motherboard. And by the looks of it the later motherboards wont support my 4690 right? I need to get a futureproof motherboard cuz Ive no clue when my 4690 is gonna die out. But as of now it runs super cool and well. Thats why i wanted to scope for a potential CPU upgrade too. Graphics card i dont have a doubt as such cuz ill mostly try to fix my GTX 770.

This gig without the storage and monitor costed me 67000Rs back in 2014. And i dont want to spend that much. And if i am to change the monitor its gonna cost me extra. So basically im trying to retain as much of my older hardware as much as i can.

Krishna1999 The games that you have listed are Triple A titles. You absolutely do not want to purchase anything less than a 6 core / 12 thread processor, if you're building a new rig. Therefore I would highly encourage you to consider buying an Intel core i5-10400 or i5-10400F (no integrated graphics but $37 USD less). Knowing that you'll be pairing your CPU with a graphics card, I would opt for the i5-10400F, and pocket the saved funds. 67000 INR ~ $900 USD.

The cheaper option would be for you to upgrade your existing build with RAM; from 8GB -> 16GB DDR3. Note Please try to purchase the exact same mfg. & model # of your existing RAM, so that they match exactly. Also a RX 580 8GB GPU would probably be 4-5 fold greater performance than that GTX 650. It represents a great upgrade, but the RX 580 is definitely not a 1440p card, and would not achieve 1080 144 FPS. 1440p 144 Hz ultra detail would necessitate a AMD RX 5700 XT or Nvidia RTX 2070 Super, or one of the newer variants just released. Just be aware that 60 Hz represent only about 40% of the GPU demand of 144 Hz. Those more powerful GPUs would absolutely necessitate building new, as a i5-4690 would be extremely bottlenecked by them.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the answer. Well thing is i'm a medical student so honestly idk how much longer i will be able to game. My main game of interests right now would be RDR2, Valhalla, Origins, Odyssey, Watch dogs legion and GTA 6 in the upcoming future. Lets keep resolution at 1080p and at 60 (might be using 1440p but i doubt that)
Thing is yeah this computer is mainly for gaming.

My current build is as follows.
Ive 8 gigs of 1600Mhz RAM,
a Broken GTX 770 ( still gotta check if its fixable) which has been supplanted by my friends GTX 650 (yeah huge downgrade but better than nothing xD) ,
i5 4690 under a corsair h45 cooler,
250gigs SSD,
roughly 2.5 gigs of HDD, (THE STORAGE I CURRENTLY HAVE IS NEW)
a 650W PSU Cooler master
on a h97 motherboard.
Monitor is the Samsung SyncMaster b2030, 900p, but will mostly change that since its sorta 11ish years old?

Its fine tbh but the limiting factor right now is the chassis and RAM. MY h45 fan is literally sitting on a cardboard box outside the system. So thats a definitive change. Will be looking into changing PSU too cuz i think that killed my GTX 770. And RAM. I need more RAM. 12gigs at least. And i dont want to get DDR3. So since i wanna change the RAM i need to change the motherboard. And by the looks of it the later motherboards wont support my 4690 right? I need to get a futureproof motherboard cuz Ive no clue when my 4690 is gonna die out. But as of now it runs super cool and well. Thats why i wanted to scope for a potential CPU upgrade too. Graphics card i dont have a doubt as such cuz ill mostly try to fix my GTX 770.

This gig without the storage and monitor costed me 67000Rs back in 2014. And i dont want to spend that much. And if i am to change the monitor its gonna cost me extra. So basically im trying to retain as much of my older hardware as much as i can.

I'm going to be blunt:

All the games you picked out are among the most demanding available. Even with top tier GPU cards, these games can be brutal.

If you are looking for value for those games, you can run most of the games you listed with reduced settings at 1080p

All modern chips use DDR4. Common memory configurations are 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB. 16GB is considered the sweet spot for gaming, but perhaps not for much longer.

Sockets have changed many times with just about all Intel CPU Generations. It was rare and recent that Intel started reusing some sockets. So you will need a new motherboard with just about every new generation Intel CPU.

This is what you are looking at:

PSU 650 Watts $90
Ryzen 3600 $200
B450 Motherboard $80
16 Gigs 3200 MHz Memory $80
SSD 1TB NVME: $100
Radeon 5600XT $299

That is a middle ground gaming rig. You'll get no ray tracing with that.

$849. (~63,400 Rupee's) I have no idea what that translates to after all your taxes.

Last edited:

Krishna1999

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Krishna1999 The games that you have listed are Triple A titles. You absolutely do not want to purchase anything less than a 6 core / 12 thread processor, if you're building a new rig. Therefore I would highly encourage you to consider buying an Intel core i5-10400 or i5-10400F (no integrated graphics but $37 USD less). Knowing that you'll be pairing your CPU with a graphics card, I would opt for the i5-10400F, and pocket the saved funds. 67000 INR ~ $900 USD.

The cheaper option would be for you to upgrade your existing build with RAM; from 8GB -> 16GB DDR3. Note Please try to purchase the exact same mfg. & model # of your existing RAM, so that they match exactly. Also a RX 580 8GB GPU would probably be 4-5 fold greater performance than that GTX 650. It represents a great upgrade, but the RX 580 is definitely not a 1440p card, and would not achieve 1080 144 FPS. 1440p 144 Hz ultra detail would necessitate a AMD RX 5700 XT or Nvidia RTX 2070 Super, or one of the newer variants just released. Just be aware that 60 Hz represent only about 40% of the GPU demand of 144 Hz. Those more powerful GPUs would absolutely necessitate building new, as a i5-4690 would be extremely bottlenecked by them.
I see. Unfortunately I was sorta half expecting this. Had a bit of denial/hope in me. As for 144Hz i will mostly not go for that. If at all i upgrade it would be to a 60hz 1440p. With taxes and stuff in India things are much more expensive than in the US. Which kinda sucks majorly cuz for the same cash i could get a MUCH better deal there.
So basically i will have to revamp almost the entire system. Including RAM Motherboard and PSU and chassis and the least. GPU certainly need an upgrade cuz the 650 is struggling at 720p. So if it is intel then i suppose ill have to go with the 10400f.
As for RAM temporarily ive purchased an extra 4 gigs DDR3 SK Hynex. Just for the time being since im not sure when i will be able to actually end up upgrading my set up.
I suppose the era of my 4690 has sorta come to an end i guess :\.
Would the RX 580 be enough for a 60 at 1080p though?
Thank you so much for your help.

Krishna1999

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
I'm going to be blunt:

All the games you picked out are among the most demanding available. Even with top tier GPU cards, these games can be brutal.

If you are looking for value for those games, you can run most of the games you listed with reduced settings at 1080p

All modern chips use DDR4. Common memory configurations are 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB. 16GB is considered the sweet spot for gaming, but perhaps not for much longer.

Sockets have changed many times with just about all Intel CPU Generations. It was rare and recent that Intel started reusing some sockets. So you will need a new motherboard with just about every new generation Intel CPU.

This is what you are looking at:

PSU 650 Watts $90
Ryzen 3600 $200
B450 Motherboard $80
16 Gigs 3200 MHz Memory $80
SSD 1TB NVME: $100
Radeon 5600XT $299

That is a middle ground gaming rig. You'll get no ray tracing with that.

$849. (~63,400 Rupee's) I have no idea what that translates to after all your taxes.
By reduced settings at 1080p, which graphics card are you referring to? Cuz if i say upgrade to a 1660ti with my current build do you think i could achieve the ultra 1080p? With the extra ram, making it ~12gigs
And yeah that really sucks to have to change the motherboard every time id have to change the CPU. Cuz say DDR5 comes then ill have to change the RAM too next time. That would cost me an extra 10k rupees unnecessarily :\

Ray tracing is the biggest deterrent thats making me not buy a GPU right now. I don't want to purchase a GPU which will end up not being able to use the next gen tech. I thought the RTX 3000 series would be budget friendly, so i either have to wait until a new line of budget friendly Ray tracing cards come out, cuz NVIDIA and AMD are still figuring out the whole process.

Thanks for that build. I will look into it. Im pretty sure it will be at least ~70 - 100 $ more expensive here though. I've basically been an intel-nvidia fanboy, but considering AMDs recent advances i will consider this! Is it true that an AMD GPU and CPU combo delivers a better performance than any other combination?
Thank you again for your input!

By reduced settings at 1080p, which graphics card are you referring to? Cuz if i say upgrade to a 1660ti with my current build do you think i could achieve the ultra 1080p?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/watch-dogs-legion-benchmark

Red Dead Redemption 2, Watch Dog Legions and Cyber Punk 2077 (expected) are considered among the most demanding games. If they barely meet playable performance now, what do you think will happen in 2, 3 years?

5600XT is ever so slightly faster than the 1660Ti due to having faster memory.

The problem is both are limited to 6GB of memory and that will cost you severely in games when you crank of details today, or leave it on "medium" settings in the future.

Ray tracing is the biggest deterrent thats making me not buy a GPU right now. I don't want to purchase a GPU which will end up not being able to use the

I understand your concerns here. The only cards which I consider acceptable RT performance today is NVIDIA 2080ti, NVIDIA 3070, Radeon 6800XT and higher. But again, you're facing the same conundrum. While you can run these games today with RT on, Ray Tracing is still in it's infancy, and developers will push RT on more and more objects quickly. That means these cards will be dated in 2 years even with low RT quality. (The 3070 especially as it only has 8 gigs RAM)

Without a doubt RT is the next big thing. Even the consoles are pushing it. And the games library is catching up that does support it. But a lot of these games bring modern games to their knees on 1080p resolution without DLSS 2.1 (NVIDIA)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/compu...1 Amid,Call of Duty franchise is the... More

If it were me personally, I put a deposit down on a 3080 after I saw the price on the 6800XT. But refreshes and updates may mean there is a 3080ti with 12 gigs memory right around six months time. That is the sweet spot for memory and Ray Tracing performance.

Solution

Krishna1999

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
My word. I had no clue AAA titles nowadays were SO demanding. I mean the 2060 has simply been brought down on its knees. That too in 1080. This is really shocking. Thanks a lot for bringing this to my notice.

Like you said Ray Tracing seems to be in its embryonic stage. If legion was this bad then i cant really imagine how bad GTA 6 would end up being. So I guess i will mostly upgrade it bit by bit, starting with Chassis first then motherboard, ram and CPU eventually. Looks like im mostly likely not going to buy a GPU anywhere in the near future. I sure hope they are able to polish Ray tracing and DLSS by the time 4000 series come out.

3080 unfortunately is simply too expensive for my budget.
I suppose i will just bide my time until that happens and eventually catch up on alll the games im going to miss playing until then :sweatsmile:
Thank you so much for your help again.

Krishna1999

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
NVM, looking at ryzen 5000s performance, HOLY HECK. I think its goodbye intel for me this time. Ill wait a little more but mostly i will go with 5600 when that comes out. Just saw LTTs video on the new Ryzen, and my word, jaw dropping to say the least when you compare the 10th gen with Ryzen.