Question Upgrading a 6 Year Old Rig with RX570

Jun 29, 2020
Hello guys,

I have a 6 year old computer that still works just fine. The current configuration is as follows:

AMD FX-4300@4.2 GHz
2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
M5A97 LE R2.0
Asus GTX 650ti Boost DCUII

I am more of single-player type of gamer and I mostly play GPU intensive games with little or no interest in multiplayer. In this rig, GPU seems to be main factor that limits performance so I am looking to upgrade it.

What I actually wonder is whether it is reasonable to upgrade a single component in such an old system. I am looking forward to buy an RX570. Even though I did not use the computer extensively, I am not sure if my dinosaur CPU will keep working couple more years. Given this, is it reasonable to buy a new RX570 rather than a used one? I am kind of afraid to buy a used one because it is so popular to use this card for mining purposes.

Thanks.

Hello guys,

I have a 6 year old computer that still works just fine. The current configuration is as follows:

AMD FX-4300@4.2 GHz
2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
M5A97 LE R2.0
Asus GTX 650ti Boost DCUII

I am more of single-player type of gamer and I mostly play GPU intensive games with little or no interest in multiplayer. In this rig, GPU seems to be main factor that limits performance so I am looking to upgrade it.

What I actually wonder is whether it is reasonable to upgrade a single component in such an old system. I am looking forward to buy an RX570. Even though I did not use the computer extensively, I am not sure if my dinosaur CPU will keep working couple more years. Given this, is it reasonable to buy a new RX570 rather than a used one? I am kind of afraid to buy a used one because it is so popular to use this card for mining purposes.

Thanks.

It's reasonable to upgrade that machine with an RX 570. The CPU will hold that gpu back in some games, so it depends on what game you play how good your experience will be - that said, you could potentially get a nice boost by also getting a second hand FX 6300 or 8300 as the extra cores help in more recent titles.

What I would suggest, given the age of the machine, is to change the thermal paste between the cpu and heat sink (might also be worth looking at the motherboard chipset heatsink as well), as this tends to dry out over time and will result in the cpu / motherboard running hot (which is often what kills older components).