Question Upgrading a Budget/Refurbished Computer

pmsmith2032

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
Is it possible to upgrade a budget/refurbished computer at a later date? I have a $500 hard budget for a new PC and I am wondering if I buy one now if I can upgrade it at a later date. Computer will primarily be used for a very small side bookkeeping business (using QuickBooks....only one client currently) and will also be used for some internet surfing (shopping etc). My son plays Fortnite and would also like to use it for this but also has PS4 and iPad so performance for gaming is low on the priority list. If it is possible to upgrade, what should I be looking for in the computer I will be purchasing now? Thanks in advance!

For $500 you can get a half decent budget system NEW - so will be upgradable

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $479.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-05 10:35 EDT-0400

Do you need monitor/keybaord/mouse?
Controvertially, you can get windows for under $15 - I do this, many people do, some people are against it.
You can shrink the ram down to 2x4GB instead of 2x8GB,
You can change the SSD to a cheaper one or different brand/size
CPU is fully upgradable and has a built in iGPU - so can play some games at low res
You can always add a proper GPU - depending on budget now or later
PSU should be enough for any future upgrades.

Last edited:
Thanks! I already have monitor/keybaord/mouse. How would I get Windows for $15? Is that Windows 10? How difficult is it to build the PC you listed? Do I need any special tools?

Thoughts on this: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-Computer-i5-7400/dp/B076PCVM4C

When you say "upgrade" upgrade how? For basic use if you don't want to spend for a gaming setup that is fine. I would not get a home/business pre-built with the idea of some nebulous "upgrading" in the future. A lot better to build or buy a setup setup with DYI parts. A modern Ryzen CPU with the onboard graphics should be OK for some gaming if you want to get that now and do a video card upgrade for real gaming later.

Only tool you need is time and a few screwdrivers to build a system.

Win 10 you can actually run un-activated and it won't do much to you.