Upgrading a couple of things

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I am looking to upgrade my Graphics card, but need to also upgrade my power supply, my question is this, What is a good replacement for a generic PSU ATX 300W , I would like to get my graphics card up to a minimum of GEFORCE GTX 770, but not sure 300W is enough so I would like to bump it to 650 or so at least. Any suggestions?
System Is
AMD FX Quad Core 4300 (3.8Ghz)
RAM 4GB - also updating to 8GB
64bit OS

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

It looks as though it will work out pretty well if I go with the GTX 770 and a 750 PSU or 1000 PSU
I'm a little nervous, I haven't broke this computer down before, I have had it for 5 years and never had any trouble with it, but it is time to at least give it a boost in power and a few upgrades to "fit with the times". I had it built, so I know the specs pretty well, it was the first time I did not build it myself.

Well they have computers very simple to put together now.

Your only going to be removing the GPU and PSU. You simply need to unscrew thee GPU from the back of the case as that is what secures it then pull the latch back from the PCIE slot and take the card out. Putting the new card in is easy, simply slot it in then screw it in at the end. Though from the specs it says it requires one 8 pin and one 6 pin PCIE connector from the PSU needs to be plugged into the top of the card but that will depend on the manufacturer as some make less power hungry builds of GPU's.

PSU wise just. Unplug all the PSU wires from the components then unscrew the PSU from the back of the case and install the new one. And plug the corresponding wires into the components. You only require the big MOBO power cable and small CPU power cable to be plugged into the mono and your case power switch wire to be connected to the board to actually power on the system.

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

The price I am currently seeing is $129.99 up to $149 I am trying to keep it in that range, I did look at the 1050 as well, which is around the same price. GTX770 is recommended for one of my favorite strategy turn based games, Civ6 that is why I was thinking of going with it. I also play games like Warcraft and StarCraft - mostly strategy, but the battles are always epic if the graphics can hold up.

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

The motherboard is MSI, built by IBUYPOWER. As I stated earlier, I had it built about 5 years ago and it has been a good PC, I am just worried I will have problems when I upgrade I guess, hopefully not - maybe it will all go as planned and I get another 3 or 4 years to enjoy the system.

Well actually ring up the company and ask if they could make you an offer for the GPU & PSU upgrade and also install it for you and if your lucky they may renew your warranty as you bought the build from them in the past.

My Dad got a custom built Skylake i7 (the CPU's was my recommendation) pc with a GTX 1060. The company has a contract with him that he can have upgrades and repairs for free within his 3 year warranty. If the GPU or CPU somehow can't handle new games anymore they will give him an upgrade within reason of course.

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Monitor is 1920 X 1080 60hz

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

I actually already ask , but it will cost too much to ship back and then here again (I would have to pay for it both ways at about $125 each way) plus the parts and labor - by the time they did that I could have enough to practically pay for a new PC (slight exaggeration there, but it makes my point) I would be looking at a total cost of around $500 to $600 with shipping, insurance, parts and labor. Of course I wouldn't be worried anymore, but I would be bored in my free time without my machine.

Hmmm well when i got my hexacore, MOBO, watercooler and DDR4 RAM bundle it was like £800-900 and £100 of that was like labour for building and testing, took longer as their first CPU popped from a burn test. My pc is fine, it's stable.

It's was my first timer buying a full bundle. In the past i installed all the parts myself but as this was so expensive i decided to get trained professionals to do it for me.

I didn't want to kill a £600+ CPU mostly....

A corsair rmx 550w will do nicely for the build however a gtx 1050ti goes for a bout 120 and performs about the same as the gtx 770 whilst consuming way less power.

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Lucky for me, You just answered the problem I ran into, My PCI Express is a 2.0 (which will work with the 1050ti based on what I can find) I thought for sure I had a 3.0 , but I guess I thought wrong - I really have to stop thinking , it's giving me a headache :) ... I do believe this will be the route to take.

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
So an update: I went with a Corsair 750 PSU and GTX 1050ti GPU. I installed the PSU, turned the pc on and.......nothing. no beeps, no monitor, nothing but fans turning and a light on the blueray flashing. so, that is where I am. I checked and rechecked all connections, I checked for any signs of broken , burnt, or otherwise unusual marks - found none. I checked with msi, the PSU is compatible. So, currently I am surfing the web and here to find a solution.

So do you have a GPU installed currently with the new PSU installed?

I know you have said you've checked all connections but to actually just get to the BIOS screen you only need the CPU power and ATX power plugged in. You should already have your case power button wired plugged into the board but better check. Plug in your keyboard & mousea, then put your display cable in and see what happens then when you turn the lot on.

Check the PSU is actually on at the back.

This may help you weed out the issue:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Wisper073

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

yes. I did all these things. I went back and removed everything put the original psu back in, started with just a basic boot and to my surprise I am now at the cmos screen, got everything setup and am preparing to start windows. I did notice the most unusual thing, when I plugged in my card reader back to the mobo, the pc won't start - I don't know if that would stop it, but I left it off this time and we now have boot. I am going to attempt to install just the new video card and exchange the psu for one a little smaller in watts.