Upgrading a Cyperpower Pre-Built System

Jun 2, 2018
I bought a Cyberpower desktop from Best Buy because my old gaming PC died on me. I thought I would be getting similar gaming performance with this prebuilt I bought but it is worse than I was expecting.

My old PC:
CPU: i5-6500 @ 3.2ghz
Ram: 16 GB 2400 Mhz
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB

Prebuilt Desktop:
CPU: AMD FM-6300
Ram: 8 GB 800 Mhz
GPU: Originally Rx 560 2gb but switched it with my RX 580 from the old desktop.
1 TB HDD and Sandisk 240 GB SSD
Link to Desktop: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-6300-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-560-1tb-hard-drive-black/6072200.p?skuId=6072200

I'm not sure what to upgrade at this point. I was thinking about upgrading to faster ram and upgrading the 8 to 16 GB. I was also looking at CPU upgrades but I'm not sure what CPU I should upgrade to if that's the case. I'm just super disappointed. I would love to hear your thoughts on upgrades for this system.

fredfinks

Honorable
oh man what have you done.
It was most probably just the PSU (they usually throw in crap ones with prebuilts) or the mobo.

no no upgrade. divorce yourself from this 'new' abomination.

Where is the old system? thats what you want

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, the CyberPower is worse than your old system.

Upgrading the CPU at this point is a non-starter. Any CPU you could put in there won't be worth the time and money to change it.
A real upgrade would involve a new CPU/motherboard/RAM.
And probably a new PSU.

In effect...a whole new PC, keeping the RX 580 and drives.

Jun 2, 2018
The story behind my old PC. I tried turning on my pc one day and it just wouldn't start/post. It wouldn't show anything. I needed to get a new cpu cooler as mine was super bad. I tried changing out the cpu cooler and it still didn't do anything. I don't know if the motherboard is dead or if I overheated my CPU and killed it. I have no way of testing it and thus why i bought a new PC.

fredfinks

Honorable
ok ok good! we cookin

1) Old system - remove GPU, all drives, and have only 1 stick of ram. Connect monitor to onboard video.
2) at least you know the PSU in the AMD system is working (for now). Rip it out and install in the old system.
3) boot up to bios. No go clear CMOS.
4) boot again. no go, try other ram stick.

get back to us.

USAFRet

Titan

RAIDMAX HYBRID
Well...there's likely the problem.

RAIDMAX is on the list of "Do Not Buy, Ever. If you have one, don't even use it as a doorstop"

Likely, if you were to purchase a new PSU (not the one that came with the Cyberpower), you could probably resurrect the old system.

fredfinks

Honorable

i think to try with it, just to see how the system goes, and then he can play target practice with two 'genuine leather' power supplies

Jun 2, 2018
Alright, so I traded out my power supply and plugged it in my motherboard (ASUS H110M-E/M.2) and I can see yellow LED's on the back of my motherboard breathing and the fans kick on but I'm having the same issue as mentioned before. I also am only using 1 ram stick now and have tried to switch both of them out incase one of them are bad.

Jun 2, 2018
Haven't tried clearing CMOS yet. The CPU connector is and the drives are all disconnected. The monitor is plugged into the onboard graphics as there is no graphics card in my PC. Just so you can see what's going on, I'm am in the process of uploading a video to YouTube and will post the link when it finishes uploading.

fredfinks

Honorable
ok well it looks to be the motherboard. ( i lost the bet, but the PSU , if it died, may have taken the mobo with it)

which is a small cost fix. (just get the same one again). try that cmos clear (just as a chance)

Also get a new, decent PSU. Sell the other pc/parts on ebay.

fredfinks

Honorable
try clearing cmos. just double make sure that everything is connected correctly.
also the front connectors, remove all but power button. (clutching at straws here)

sounds like mobo is dead. CPU is last thing to go. why did you get the cooler again? where you doing anything funky to the CPU?

Jun 2, 2018
New update: I'm going to try and buy a new motherboard to see if that's what the issue is, if somehow my processor is dead then all I have to do is save up money for a new one. I'll give you an update when I get my motherboard and let you know if that was the issue.

Jun 2, 2018
So I have 2 choices. I bought this motherboard: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-z370-gaming-plus-socket-lga1151-usb-3-1-gen-1-intel-motherboard/6169110.p?skuId=6169110 and wanted to know if I could fit and be okay with putting it in my prebuilt case with it's original power supply or if I should put that motherboard into my old case: https://smile.amazon.com/ROSEWILL-Gaming-Computer-supports-pre-installed/dp/B01BITI11G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528832923&sr=8-3&keywords=atx+mid+case and buy this power supply: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-80-plus-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029. I'm not sure if either power supply would be enough to power my RX 580 8 GB or if the new motherboard I bought would even fit in either of those cases. Please help.