Question Upgrading a Dell Optiplex 9010 MT Motherboard

QueenMickey

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hey. This is an update from another post, but after dealing with my Optiplex MT 390 freezing ever since I got it, I've decided to get a 9010 MT motherboard. I haven't been running a lot of programs or anything, so I don't know what's wrong. Tried some programs to see how everything was running and it ran ok with the ram or computer sometimes going up, but would come back down. Maybe it did that because I was the a program testing it.

I do need to know a few things. I don't have a price range, but don't want to pay around 1,000. I know you can get deals some places, so you could also link sites with your list. I want something that will be high end with what this will do, but not enough that will fry it out. If people can give me a list of things I can use in this, it would help.

1. I am going to add a SSD 1TB and 32GB. If you can name good brands to use with both. Could I add a 2TB or maybe a 1TB and 500GB SSD?
  2. I need to add an i7-3770 to it. I've heard Dell has their own things like that, so could I add a normal one or do I need to buy one of theirs? Also what cooling gel do I add when installing it?
  3. The Right GPU to work them them.
  4. The Right Power Supply to work with them.
  5. With the fans already provided, the fans with the power supply and GPU, how many is to many fans.
  6. Would I have to add a dvd player or would I be fine to not add it? I am going to replace the front end port bay, but would I have to add that back too.
  7. Would I need new fans and cords to connect things together as I am upgrading from a 390 to a 9010.

QueenMickey

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Oh, sorry...I read it wrong. :D

So you have the motherboard, and are just looking for the other parts?
The i7 isn't proprietary Dell.
Any SATA drives will work.
I was wondering. The fan I need for my 9010 is a 3 pin. Could I get a converter cord and use my fan in my 390? If so, do you have a name(s)?

I'd suggest first to go to Dell support site, and download all documentation you can get about your computer. Check what CPUs were offered initially with that computer. Make sure the existing PSU is powerful enough for the GPU you're going to install.

And last but not least - are you sure you can put 9010 MB into 390? Dell likes to use proprietary connectors once in a while..

TRENDING THREADS