Upgrading a Dimension 5000??

Nigel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002

Hi,

How easy is it to upgrade this system - I would want to put a pci express
graphics card, a sound card ,a dvd writer and maybe another 512Mb of memory.
Can you use none dell stuff??? Is there enough space in the machines??

Thanks

Nigel

"Nigel" <dfsf@sdfs.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How easy is it to upgrade this system - I would want to put a pci express
>graphics card, a sound card ,a dvd writer and maybe another 512Mb of memory.
>Can you use none dell stuff??? Is there enough space in the machines??

As Ben has advised, within the constraints of numbers, and in
some cases type, of memory slots, card slots, and drive bays, you
can replace or add any of the items you are asking about.

Note the specific caveats about DDR2 memory in the User Manual.

A simple search for "Dimension 5000" on the Dell web site easily
found the Dell Dimension 5000 Documentation, including the user
guide, in five languages selections, at

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Selecting English took me to the Dell Dimension User Guide at

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/en/index.htm

with a selection of HTML and PDF Documents. From the HTML
service manual selection at:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/en/sm/parts0.htm#wp1043338

I found an extensive, detailed set of service information,
addressing, among other things memory, cards, and drives. I
would recommend you check out this page, although

Memory
You can increase your computer memory by installing memory
modules on the system board. Your computer supports DDR2 memory.

DDR2 memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched
memory size, speed, and technology. If the DDR2 memory modules
are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to
operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. See the
label on the module to determine the module's capacity.

Card slots - Your Dell™ computer provides the following slots for
PCI and PCI Express cards:
Two PCI card slots
One PCI Express x16 card slot
One PCI Express x1 card slot

Drives - Your computer supports a combination of these devices:
Up to two serial ATA drives
One FlexBay drive (floppy drive or Media Card Reader)
Up to two CD or DVD drives

Have fun.
--
OJ III

None of the components used inside contemporary Dell systems are proprietary.
Memory must meet the specifications required by the system, but it need not be
Dell-branded, only good quality. Whether or not you can add a DVD writer
depends on whether or not there is an available drive bay. Most DVD writers
sold nowadays also write and read CDs and read DVDs, so you could simply replace
the existing drive in the system... Ben Myers