[SOLVED] Upgrading a GPU on an old desktop PC

Nov 24, 2020
Edit : I Updated the Power supply Unit's details.

hello,
My 8 years old GPU, ATI 7770 1GB, is dead.

I know it's an old system but it's working just fine. I just need my computer for normal use and some light games.

my system :
i5-3570K 3.4GHz (ordered a used one, for now it's just an i3-3220)
SeaSonic 430w Power Supply (8 years old)
8GB RAM
120GB SSD + 2TB HDD
MB - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

I don't mind Changing PSU if I have to for this Upgrade.
the budget is not an issue, just don't want to spend a lot. I guess the budget is about 200$ give or take, I'm open for suggestions.
I'm not from US so the prices are different here....

Any suggestions? Used or New, all OK.

thank you very much.

Last edited:
Solution
Would there be any problem with the BIOS of the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H supporting the 16-series cards?

I know OP isn't in the US, but if pricing is anything like in the US, then the GTX 1650 GDDR6 should be about the same as a 1050Ti, maybe less. This is for new, of course. Some of them require a 6-pin PCIe connector, which, if your PSU doesn't have it, then means you need a newer, more capable PSU.

A GTX 1060 6GB might be worthwhile used, if you can find one at a reasonable price. Similar issue with a PCIe connector, though, and it could possibly even require dual-6-pin or a single-8-pin connector, but I don't have a lot of knowledge of various 1060 models.
hello,
My 8 years old GPU, ATI 7770 1GB, is dead.

I know it's an old system but it's working just fine. I just need my computer for normal use and some light games.

my system :
i5-3570K 3.4GHz (ordered a used one, for now it's just an i3-3220)
430w PSU
8GB RAM
120GB SSD + 2TB HDD
MB - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

I don't mind Changing PSU if I have to for this Upgrade.
the budget is not an issue, just don't want to spend a lot. I guess the budget is about 200$ give or take, I'm open for suggestions.
I'm not from US so the prices are different here....

Any suggestions? Used or New, all OK.

thank you very much.
First things first. What is the brand and model of the power supply? How long has it been in service? We can't discuss a GPU upgrade until the power supply has been evaluated to be fit for service or we establish that it needs to be replaced.

Reactions: King_V
Nov 24, 2020
First things first. What is the brand and model of the power supply? How long has it been in service? We can't discuss a GPU upgrade until the power supply has been evaluated to be fit for service or we establish that it needs to be replaced.

I Edited the post by your request. it's an 8 years old Seasonic PSU 430w.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Would there be any problem with the BIOS of the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H supporting the 16-series cards?

I know OP isn't in the US, but if pricing is anything like in the US, then the GTX 1650 GDDR6 should be about the same as a 1050Ti, maybe less. This is for new, of course. Some of them require a 6-pin PCIe connector, which, if your PSU doesn't have it, then means you need a newer, more capable PSU.

A GTX 1060 6GB might be worthwhile used, if you can find one at a reasonable price. Similar issue with a PCIe connector, though, and it could possibly even require dual-6-pin or a single-8-pin connector, but I don't have a lot of knowledge of various 1060 models.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's an option. But me personally, I'd not spend a lot of money on a mediocre upgrade. The 3rd gen platform, especially the quad thread cpus, are getting long in the tooth, and sooner or later will not be enough. Motherboard support, OS compatibility, even the age of the components is all going to put a halt to the pc, and thats not even considering Software. Then it's a choice of try and salvage what's left with another used mobo, or ditch everything.

Anything, even relatively cheap, that's somewhat current will virtually render a low level gpu into the proverbial bottleneck, stifling even moderately complex or newer games.

That's my thought process, get just enough to keep you afloat today, and when the pc does finally kick the bucket in a few years (hopefully lasts that long) you aren't thinking of saving a gpu that tomorrow will be basically no better off than the hd7770 is today. Toss the whole thing and start over with something that'll last another 8 years, not trying to patch it together in 2-3.

Nov 24, 2020
thank you all guys, you helped a lot.

I thinks ill go to the local computer store, I'll buy new or used GPU , GTX 1650/1650TI. I'll look at the power numbers online and I'll upgrade my PSU if I need to... probably will have to.

maybe when the computer will die I'll salvage the PSU and GPU to the new system. you think that's a reasonable idea?

InvalidError

Titan
That's my thought process, get just enough to keep you afloat today, and when the pc does finally kick the bucket in a few years (hopefully lasts that long) you aren't thinking of saving a gpu that tomorrow will be basically no better off than the hd7770 is today.
All of my Intel PCs lasted 12+ years with several of those years being on 24/7 under load, I wouldn't worry about PCs not lasting that long too much apart from a PSU and HDD replacement or two along the way and a thorough dust-off once a year to prevent tin whiskers from shorting things out.

maybe when the computer will die I'll salvage the PSU and GPU to the new system. you think that's a reasonable idea?
That's usually what I do. I don't care much about graphics details, so I just set details at whatever gives me a steady 60+fps until the next substantial (that's 100+% to me) xx50 tier GPU upgrade 2-3 generations later.

The base 1650 has quite poor performance per dollar in NA with performance only 10-30% better than the 1050Ti. Look around for the Super (1650S) variant. The Super variant is 30-60% faster than the non-S, which will enable you to push higher details and/or resolution at whatever frame rates your i5 is able to hit.

Reactions: omersadai