[SOLVED] upgrading a lenovo ideapad 3 from hdd to ssd

Jan 24, 2022
With the legacy boot option gone im not sure how to boot the ssd (which i installed windows 10 on with a different pc) on the laptop. The bios sees the sandisk SSD but wont boot to it and when i load from a windows 10 boot drive it doesnt see the ssd either. The hdd doesnt have much on it and i was told that if she did not get any of her data back that it was fine since its mostly work documents that she also has on a flash drive. The primary reason is due to how slow the hdd has become. She came to me with her laptop and a sandisk ssd and simply asked me to install it and get it working.

Thank you everyone for all the replies, truly.

Last edited:
Solution
With the legacy boot option gone im not sure how to boot the ssd (which i installed windows 10 on with a different pc) on the laptop. The bios sees the sandisk SSD but wont boot to it and when i load from a windows 10 boot drive it doesnt see the ssd either.
Remove the HDD.
Install the SSD.
Do a full fresh OS install, while the SSD is in the system.

Are you not able to clone (Macrium) the hdd onto the ssd right there in the laptop? Or, if you are able to remove both drives from the laptop and connect them to another computer, could you not clone them there? Otherwise it looks like you'll need a complete Windows reinstall on the ssd once its installed in the laptop.

USAFRet

Titan
With the legacy boot option gone im not sure how to boot the ssd (which i installed windows 10 on with a different pc) on the laptop. The bios sees the sandisk SSD but wont boot to it and when i load from a windows 10 boot drive it doesnt see the ssd either.
Remove the HDD.
Install the SSD.
Do a full fresh OS install, while the SSD is in the system.

Solution
Jan 24, 2022
Are you not able to clone (Macrium) the hdd onto the ssd right there in the laptop? Or, if you are able to remove both drives from the laptop and connect them to another computer, could you not clone them there? Otherwise it looks like you'll need a complete Windows reinstall on the ssd once its installed in the laptop.
i cannot, hdd is bitlocker'ed. client wont pick up the phone. Is macrium the best at cloning? I have been using Aomei.

i cannot, hdd is bitlocker'ed. client wont pick up the phone. Is macrium the best at cloning? I have been using Aomei.
I've only used Macrium and Acronis for cloning, and I've never cloned a bitlockered disk so you're beyond my experience. I noticed that the Free version of Aomei only mentions MBR disk cloning so I hope you're using the Professional or Workstation version. There's also the question of how would you tell if a disk is cloned properly if its bitlockered and you can't boot it.

Jan 24, 2022
I would abandon this clone concept.

Discover why the SanDisk is not seen as a viable install location, fix that issue, and do a clean install on it.
I hate to admit defeat but i tried to just put in the ssd and install, then initialized it on another pc and tried the install again, then partitioned it out and tried the install again, ive tried gpt and mbr. Theres no legacy option so i tried with and without secure boot and with and without intel platform trust.