[SOLVED] Upgrading a new pre-built PC with some old components ?

dvorsiman

Honorable
Jul 13, 2016
Hello, I've ordered a new, pre-built PC with the following specs:

MOBO - Intel B560
CPU - Intel Core i7-10700K w/ BE QUIET! PURE ROCK SLIM 2 cooler
SSD - 500 GB M.2
RAM - DDR4 2x8GB 3200 MHz
GPU - RTX 3070
PSU - 650W 80+ Bronze (unsure of the brand)

My question is, would it be alright to switch out certain components, or add some of my old ones into this new PC?
Naturally, if such actions would void the warranty on the PC, I won't do it, but I'm just curious.
Warranty is 2 years, so I assume these older components, if they won't be running / working for 2 years, will they still be acceptable to put into the PC after that time?

Old components I have:

• SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - It's currently around 2 years old max. I planned on adding this into the PC, since it doesn't have an additional HDD and 500GB of space is the minimum for me.
  • RAM - I believe I currently have DDR3's, so I won't be putting these in.
  • PSU - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - It's ~1.5 years old. I had RM750 before this, for ~3 years, but it had an issue, at which point Corsair sent a new one, and even a newer model. The warranty was reset to 5 years for this one, as per Corsair. I planned on switching this one in.

Solution
Hey man,

Upgrading prebuilts is a bit of grey area when it comes to upgrading parts. Some manufacturers/suppliers won't mind, others would consider it to completely void warranty. Best to check with the manufactuerer/supplier. Pretty decent build though, but too bad that they paired a K-series CPU with a B-series motherboard, because your CPU is overclockable, but your motherboard won't allow it. Kind of a shame.

PC parts don't usually "go bad" while being shelved. Even if you stored your own computer parts for two years, they should be fine to add into your new computer. Your SSD and PSU are perfect examples of parts you could want to add in. Extra storage, and the RM750i is a high quality PSU, so it would make sense to swap PSUs if...
Hey man,

Upgrading prebuilts is a bit of grey area when it comes to upgrading parts. Some manufacturers/suppliers won't mind, others would consider it to completely void warranty. Best to check with the manufactuerer/supplier. Pretty decent build though, but too bad that they paired a K-series CPU with a B-series motherboard, because your CPU is overclockable, but your motherboard won't allow it. Kind of a shame.

PC parts don't usually "go bad" while being shelved. Even if you stored your own computer parts for two years, they should be fine to add into your new computer. Your SSD and PSU are perfect examples of parts you could want to add in. Extra storage, and the RM750i is a high quality PSU, so it would make sense to swap PSUs if your current PSU isn't as high quality. Try to figure out what brand and model it is, and compare it to your RM750i on >>this<< tier list. The RM750i is an upper A-tier, one of the best series of PSUs out there.

Solution

dvorsiman

Honorable
Jul 13, 2016
How important, or rather, how much impact does overclocking have? I'm mainly going to play games, majority singleplayer. I have never overclocked my current CPU (i7 3770) and am lost on the possible advantages, if any.