[SOLVED] Upgrading a pc to i5-9600k, need help with parts!

Oct 25, 2019
Hey,

I have considered a budget build around my old Fractal Design Define R3- tower and a new cpu, i5-9600k. I´m new to building a pc; last computer was built by a firm from which I bought the parts from. I might eventually try some overclocking also for the first time. Bought Asus GTX 1060 OC two years ago.

I will be mostly playing games. Planetside 2, Pubg etc.

Here are the parts considered so far, prices are in euros:

• i5-9600k (250e)
  • Gigabyte Z390 gaming x (149e)
  • Corsair (2 x 8GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz, CL16 (89,90e)
  • Seasonic Focus 550W GX550 (89,90e)
  • Cryorig H7 (40e)

I cannot choose which motherboard would be the best for me. I might, in the future, upgrade to 9900k so keep that in mind also. There are three potential mobo options that suit my budget:

• Gigabyte Z390 UD (125e)
  • Gigabyte Z390 Gaming x (149e)
  • Asrock Z390 extreme 4 (149e at discount)

Asrock is at a discount for 149e (normally priced around 175e), so same price level as gaming x at the moment. I´ve heard some negative feedback about the overclocking abilities of extreme4, but then again, I´know very little of computers overall. Needless to say though, the extreme4 is a bargain at the moment price-wise, but is it much better than the gaming x overall? I´ve read that extreme4 has had problems OC:ing with 9900k, is it really a problem though? I´ve also read that Gigabyte models are better suited for possible 9900k, is this a correct assessment? And by the way, could I overclock 9600k with Gigabyte UD without any major problems?

Also have some problems with choosing a psu. I have my old trusty Antec Truepower 650W from the year 2011, and I suppose it´s really not an option to be kept anymore. I have though of Seasonic Focus 550W GX 550, but it´s quite expensive. There are so many options; advice would be appreciated - good cheaper ones especially.

What about the case: would the old Fractal design Define R3 case (2011) be suitable? Would there be a need to think about changing fans or even the whole case for a newer one?

How about Cryorig cooler, should be decent? I might only try some mild OC on the 9600k.

Lastly, is the memory a good option with the overall set?

Appreciate if anyone has any input on these problems or any other advise regarding the build.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Sounds interesting, although it´s hard to understand all these technical terms and everything.

In your opinion, how would you estimate the next gen prices being compared to now; could I get more value and cpu power if I waited for next line up at the same price as now? Would it be worth it?

If Intel makes it so that the current Z390 motherboards are not compatible with the new processors is not very good news for the consumer, although I understand it from the business perspective of course. All this information kind of makes me want to lean on AMD´s side a bit more.
Seems likely the next gen from Intel will be at roughly the same price as the current gen. If the rumor is true then yes you would benefit from waiting.

I would...
Oct 25, 2019
What is your budget and what country do you live in?
Hey Jeremy, thank you for the interest.

I´m from Finland, and the budget for the mobo, processor, cooler, ram and psu is around 600e. Would like if there was a way to cut some expenses, without loosing much quality.

I´m looking for a good gaming build, maybe some mild OC, and future-proofing would not hurt regarding components.

Oct 25, 2019
Do you have a preference of shops to use? On the Finland version of pcpartpicker there only shop is cdon.co
Yeah, I looked from pcpartpicker also. Finland is really not supported in the said site - sadly. And I looked at our shops, the sites are not in English, so almost impossible for a non-finnish person to try using those. If you have any suggestion, you can do it in pounds or dollar also in pcpartpicker. I will check the prices here.

I would do something around these lines.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.00 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€161.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€83.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€94.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €539.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-25 21:19 CEST+0200

The nice thing is that the Ryzen comes with a good CPU cooler so you can use that. If it is too loud you can add one at a later date. You can also try using a MSI B450 MAX motherboard to save a few Euros. The CPU is about equal in gaming to the 9600K and better for things that are multi-threaded. The rest of the money could go to a nice SSD to hold the games.

Hi, from what you have said, the Gigabyte range of Z390 motherboards all have a very good VRM with Gaming X having a 10+2 Phase VRM. If you can stretch to the Pro it has a 12 phase VRM and will handle the 9900K no issues for a future upgrade though the X should more than manage.

As to the cooler, the Cryrig is more than good enough for mild overclocks on the 9600K.

The Fractal Design R3 is still a good case but airflow will be an issue so look to get some more air in with fans in the front.

As to the power supply, you cannot go wrong with Seasonic but it is a bit more expensive. But a good 550w Gold rated power supply will do the job.

The DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance 3200 is great and the speed is right at the sweetspot so all good.

Also you should be able to order from the Amazon UK or Amazon Germany store and have it delivered to Finland...Well worth checking this our as you might save some money.

Oct 25, 2019
I would do something around these lines.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.00 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€161.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€83.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€94.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €539.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-25 21:19 CEST+0200

The nice thing is that the Ryzen comes with a good CPU cooler so you can use that. If it is too loud you can add one at a later date. You can also try using a MSI B450 MAX motherboard to save a few Euros. The CPU is about equal in gaming to the 9600K and better for things that are multi-threaded. The rest of the money could go to a nice SSD to hold the games.
I´ve thought of using Ryzen also, for the cheaper price, but somehow still prefer Intel. I will mostly play games though, so 9600k should give a few fps more. I will reconsider everything still though at this point.

Ryzen sounds even more tempting right now, since we have a bundle of Ryzen 3600, Prime B450 and Kingston HyperfuryX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200 for 410 euros. Add psu and it´s 500 euros. Not bad.

Have you got any knowledge of those motherboards in my first post? Especially between Asrock extreme 4 and Gigabyte gaming x.

Your build had Corsair RM 650W Gold; you think it would be better quality overall in any budget build than the Seasonic Focus Gold series? They are in a similar price range.

Oct 25, 2019
Hi, from what you have said, the Gigabyte range of Z390 motherboards all have a very good VRM with Gaming X having a 10+2 Phase VRM. If you can stretch to the Pro it has a 12 phase VRM and will handle the 9900K no issues for a future upgrade though the X should more than manage.

As to the cooler, the Cryrig is more than good enough for mild overclocks on the 9600K.

The Fractal Design R3 is still a good case but airflow will be an issue so look to get some more air in with fans in the front.

As to the power supply, you cannot go wrong with Seasonic but it is a bit more expensive. But a good 550w Gold rated power supply will do the job.

The DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance 3200 is great and the speed is right at the sweetspot so all good.

Also you should be able to order from the Amazon UK or Amazon Germany store and have it delivered to Finland...Well worth checking this our as you might save some money.
Hi Max, and thank you for answering and helping.

Yeah, I´ve read and watched videos of z390 motherboards, so that´s why I´m leaning, if I purchase Intel, towards Gigabyte boards.

I had an idea also that gaming x would be somewhat enough for 9900k, but it´s great to hear it from someone else. As to extreme 4 vs gaming x, it´s very hard for a noob to really get to bottom of this. There is not much information on the internet. On paper, I suppose, Asrock extreme 4 wins, but does it really. I´m perfectionist so...

Great to hear the Fractal R3 is still potentially ok for the 2019. I´ll be careful with temps and buy newer fans or in some other way increase the airflow, if possible.

I really need to check Amazon also, thx for the tip. I suppose returns - if needed - are not of any problem?

I´m really torn between ryzen and intel atm though. I want to get Intel, but do I really need to pay more. I really haven´t much money anyway.

No problems at all. On the Ryzen or Intel, you really cannot go wrong on either side as the CPU's of today are pretty much incredible. On the Intel side, just a bit more FPS power and on the Ryzen side a bit more on the pro workloads side.

Oct 25, 2019
There's a rumour going around that Intels next chip refresh will add hyperthreading to all models. It would really annoy me personally if I bought a 9600k now and in 6 to 9 months the next i5 had hyperthreading included for free.
Hi Flayed, thank you for giving information.

Well, I´d be very sad if that would be the case, if purchasing 9600k. How certain are you of this?

Is Ryzen 3600 hyperthreading by the way?

Last edited:
I´ve thought of using Ryzen also, for the cheaper price, but somehow still prefer Intel. I will mostly play games though, so 9600k should give a few fps more. I will reconsider everything still though at this point.

Ryzen sounds even more tempting right now, since we have a bundle of Ryzen 3600, Prime B450 and Kingston HyperfuryX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200 for 410 euros. Add psu and it´s 500 euros. Not bad.

Have you got any knowledge of those motherboards in my first post? Especially between Asrock extreme 4 and Gigabyte gaming x.

Your build had Corsair RM 650W Gold; you think it would be better quality overall in any budget build than the Seasonic Focus Gold series? They are in a similar price range.
The RM and Focus Plus Gold are of equal quality.

Hi Flayed, thank you for giving information.

Well, I´d be very sad if that would be the case, if purchasing 9600k. How certain are you of this?

Is Ryzen 3600 hyperthreading by the way?
It's an unconfirmed rumor supported by a leak of an i3 with hyperthreading

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/i...percharged-with-hyper-threading-to-battle-amd

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ore-i3-with-intels-10th-generation-comet-lake

It would make sense for Intel to do this however as they are losing sales to Ryzen 3

The Ryzen 3 chips all have AMD's implementation of SMT which is equivalent to hyperthreading but supposedly it's a slightly better implementation than Intels.

Oct 25, 2019
It's an unconfirmed rumor supported by a leak of an i3 with hyperthreading

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/i...percharged-with-hyper-threading-to-battle-amd

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ore-i3-with-intels-10th-generation-comet-lake

It would make sense for Intel to do this however as they are losing sales to Ryzen 3

The Ryzen 3 chips all have AMD's implementation of SMT which is equivalent to hyperthreading but supposedly it's a slightly better implementation than Intels.
Sounds interesting, although it´s hard to understand all these technical terms and everything.

In your opinion, how would you estimate the next gen prices being compared to now; could I get more value and cpu power if I waited for next line up at the same price as now? Would it be worth it?

If Intel makes it so that the current Z390 motherboards are not compatible with the new processors is not very good news for the consumer, although I understand it from the business perspective of course. All this information kind of makes me want to lean on AMD´s side a bit more.

Seems likely the next gen from Intel will be at roughly the same price as the current gen. If the rumor is true then yes you would benefit from waiting.

I would suggest getting a Ryzen 3600 now rather than an Intel chip. Only the 9900k kind of makes sense to buy now if you have to have every last frame available for gaming, and you have a very high end graphics card

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 25, 2019

I would suggest getting a Ryzen 3600 now rather than an Intel chip. Only the 9900k kind of makes sense to buy now if you have to have every last frame available for gaming, and you have a very high end graphics card
Yes, I really need to think about this thing much more. So many different factors to be taken into consideration.

Thank you very much for the information. :)