Upgrading a POS HP

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I've scoured the internet looking for information on an HP Vectra VL5/200MMX. I found out that I can upgrade the EDO RAM to 192MB, but I was wondering if I could upgrade the processor to a K6-2. I have my doubts but if anybody could provide me with some info or links I would be grateful. I have a K6-2 350 just sitting around collecting dust. It would be nice to turn it into some $$$. Would I be able to run the FSB at or close 100MHz with that crappy old EDO RAM?

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i dont think its possible, if memory serves, that board doesnt support a 100mhz fsb, only 66mhz i doubt it is upgradable past 200mhz, hp of that era never seemed to support higher processor speeds than they were shipped with, my wife had 2 old hp's that were like that, but there may be some hp's that could, but i havent seen them. i would donate it to a school and take the tax write off....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i would say judging b y the info, that it is not going to work with any amd cpu, and it is the best it will ever be right now, sorry....

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Thanks for the link. I have a feeling you're right. I was hoping perhaps there might be a BIOS update out there that would allow support for a K6-2. It's no big deal if 200MHz is the best we can do. All it's used for now is medical billing, word processing and internet. It's not my pc anyway. I just like to tinker. :smile:

All in all this pc is rather durable. It's pretty much been running since it's been built. Not bad.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
no problem, i have a few of these cpu's taken out of these types of machines, i use them as paper weights now:) but i still have an original ibm ps/2 desktop....just to remind myself of the good ole days:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Many systems that didn't "officially" support K6-2 processors would. Since you have an MMX CPU in there now, it's set at 2.8v core. This is TOLLERABLE with the K6-2 as long as you use GOOD cooling. I suggest a small Athlon/PIII cooler as a great solution.

Many K6-2 350's (and ALL faster versions) supported 2x=6x multiplier conversion, so setting the CPU speed at 133MHz results in 400MHz actual clock, and using the MMX voltage setting assures it will operate for a long time as long as you keep it cool.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

g5_inside

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
You should have bought an apple computer... Apple's computers have a MUCH LONGER shelf life compared to PCs. Most apple systems are good for at least 5 years after you buy them in their factory configuration... The same cannot be said for PCs. People might claim Macs are more expensive but you don't have to upgrade them every 6 months just to keep using your word processors!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
An 8 year old Pentium 200MMX will work perfectly with Windows95 (including all the updates to add 98 functionality), Office97, etc. It will run programs like greased lightening on only 32MB of RAM. So yes, PC's have a VERY long shelf life if you use the software that was made for them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
you are soo right man i am strugling to run word 97 on my pII. Jeez i should start worshiping you because your ideas are so profound.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I knew I'd here from you eventually, Crash. Cooling will be a problem on this thing. Right now it's passively cooled with the funkiest of power supply's fan blowing down on it. The power supply is basically held in by gravity and spans the entire depth of the desktop-style case. There is very little room in this thing. If anything, I would have to get a low profile fan/heatsink. If you or anybody else could recommend one that would sufficiently cool this thing at 2.8V I would certainly give it a shot.

On another note, this system is running Windows 95 and only has a 1 GB HDD. With the medical billing program and all of the patient data in there I can't even load Office 97!

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
You should have bought an apple computer... Apple's computers have a MUCH LONGER shelf life compared to PCs.
It's nice to have a forum idiot to kick around. This is not my pc. I was asked to upgrade it by a colleague of mine. As I stated in one of my previous posts, it still can be used for medical billing, internet and word processing. I usually don't keep a PC for longer than 6 months. I am one of those people that has to have all the newest and fastest stuff. I certainly have no use for a 5 year old Mac. Nor does anyone else on this planet for that matter.

AMD_Meltdown is a lot more fun than you.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Well said!

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>