[SOLVED] Upgrading a Vega 11 to a 5700xt

varnasts

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
Hey all. For the past few months I have been looking to upgrade my pc a little bit. I started looking for the rx580 pulse, back in February. Prices were okay until August, and then everything went to <Mod Edit>. I was still eyeing the 580, even though it was up by over 100$, and I was also considering the 1560S or 1660. If I were to buy one, it would be next summer.

Today I got a call from a friend of mine who was looking to upgrade his PC. He knew what he wanted, but was looking for someone to sell his old CPU and GPU, an r7 2700x and the 5700xt. Didn't get the brand, I'll learn it next time we call. But the price for those two is 300$. Money is tight right now, but I cannot pass up on that offer, since such GPU is gonna last me for years. Now, I just want to know if the rest of my build can handle them (mainly the case and the PSU). Can you guys take a look and help? PartPicker says it's all good, with a minor exception on the case (V3X instead of V2X).

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
GPU: Vega 11
Motherboard: X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
PSU: Corsair VS Series VS650 White
Case: Aerocool V2X
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Series

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yeah, it is a steal, and I really would hate it to pass on it because of the tight money situation I got.
RAM is 8GB, DDR4, 3000MHz (PV48G300C6K)

For the PSU, I was thinking of Corsair CX650, or the RM650x although this goes beyond my budget. Seasonic where I live are a bit more expensive this period. Maybe I will get the CPU and card, and let them sit until I get a decent PSU.

I would bump your RAM up to 16GB (2x8GB kit) at 3600 or greater eventually. The Corsair CX is a better PSU then what you have but not so much so that it would justify the upgrade, you would be better off with the RM650X. 300 is a excellent deal and you will get a massive upgrade in raw performance over what you currently have.
300 for both the CPU and GPU? Thats a heck of an upgrade and I dont see any issue.

What is your RAM configuration? Make, model and speed?

The only potential trouble spot I see is that PSU, while it is sufficient its also one of a pretty low quality and you might want to upgrade it sooner then later. If you live by a Microcenter their in house brand Powerspec is pretty good for the money (get there Gold rated modular one), it not then something like the Seasonic CORE GM-650 which is usually around 75 bucks when on sale is a good choice.

varnasts

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
300 for both the CPU and GPU? Thats a heck of an upgrade and I dont see any issue.

What is your RAM configuration? Make, model and speed?

The only potential trouble spot I see is that PSU, while it is sufficient its also one of a pretty low quality and you might want to upgrade it sooner then later. If you live by a Microcenter their in house brand Powerspec is pretty good for the money (get there Gold rated modular one), it not then something like the Seasonic CORE GM-650 which is usually around 75 bucks when on sale is a good choice.

Yeah, it is a steal, and I really would hate it to pass on it because of the tight money situation I got.

For the PSU, I was thinking of Corsair CX650, or the RM650x although this goes beyond my budget. Seasonic where I live are a bit more expensive this period. Maybe I will get the CPU and card, and let them sit until I get a decent PSU.

I would bump your RAM up to 16GB (2x8GB kit) at 3600 or greater eventually. The Corsair CX is a better PSU then what you have but not so much so that it would justify the upgrade, you would be better off with the RM650X. 300 is a excellent deal and you will get a massive upgrade in raw performance over what you currently have.

Solution