[SOLVED] Upgrading Advice Needed

Mar 18, 2021
Hi people, I hope someone out there can help me, since Flight Sim 2020 has a new version come out my pc needs upgrading so I can play it , the specs required are
Minimum specs
  • Operating System: Windows 10.
  • Processor: Intel i5-4460 | AMD Ryzen 3 1200.
  • RAM: 8 GB RAM.
  • Video card: NVIDIA GTX 770 | AMD Radeon RX 570.
  • Hard drive: 150 GB available space.

• My pc specs are
  • Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
    Model F2A68HM-HD2 (P0)
  • RAM
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots 4
    Used memory slots 1
    Free memory slots 3
    Memory
    Type DDR3
  • Physical Memory
    Memory Usage 48 %
    Total Physical 7.95 GB
    Available Physical 4.10 GB
    Total Virtual 16 GB
    Available Virtual 9.94 GB
  • Graphics
    Monitor
    Name S240HL on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 ….. I have just purchased CPU AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (YD1200BBAEBOX) With Wraith Stealth cooler and I intend to buy a 500w psu, now I have to upgrade my motherboard but im really confused as to which one to get ? Could any advice not be too technical as I have never done anything like this before , I just about know how to turn pc on and off ;~) Thanks for any help .

What are your current system specs, aside from the aforementioned GTX1050?
  • CPU
  • Mobo
  • RAM (# of sticks, DDR generation, capacity of each stick)
  • GPU
  • Storage (HDD/SSD, quantity, and capacity)
  • Case
  • PSU
  • Case fans
What's your budget?
What country are you shopping in?
Can you return the Ryzen 1200?

Mar 18, 2021
What are your current system specs, aside from the aforementioned GTX1050?
  • CPU
  • Mobo
  • RAM (# of sticks, DDR generation, capacity of each stick)
  • GPU
  • Storage (HDD/SSD, quantity, and capacity)
  • Case
  • PSU
  • Case fans
What's your budget?
What country are you shopping in?
Can you return the Ryzen 1200?

Hi Geofelt, my budget is about £400, country UK, No unfortunatly i cant return the Ryzen, l will paste the system below, I hope you can make sense of it because I cant.

Motherboard
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
Model F2A68HM-HD2 (P0)
Version x.x
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model K15 IMC
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model A68H FCH
Southbridge Revision 2.6
System Temperature 25 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version FB
Date 22/04/2015
Voltage
CPU CORE 0.780 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1.536 V
VIN2 2.040 V
VIN3 1.992 V
VIN4 2.052 V
VIN5 2.232 V
VIN6 2.232 V
VIN7 1.656 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation J6B2
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation J6B1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x8
Slot Designation J6D1
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation J7B1
Slot Number 3

CPU AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (YD1200BBAEBOX) With Wraith Stealth cooler

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 1
Free memory slots 3
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 803.2 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 11 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 11 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 28 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 39 clocks
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 48 %
Total Physical 7.95 GB
Available Physical 4.10 GB
Total Virtual 16 GB
Available Virtual 9.94 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 1
Slot #1

Graphics
Monitor
Name S240HL on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1040 pixels
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Model GeForce GTX 1050
Device ID 10DE-1C81
Revision A2
Subvendor Gigabyte (1458)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Current GPU Clock 139 MHz
Current Memory Clock 405 MHz
Current Shader Clock 405 MHz
Voltage 0.675 V
Technology 14 nm
Bus Interface PCI Express x16
Temperature 31 °C
Driver version 27.21.14.5671
BIOS Version 86.07.2e.00.09
Physical Memory 2047 MB
Virtual Memory 2048 MB
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
GPU Clock 670 MHz
Shader Clock 810 MHz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Everybody knows what a peanut butter and jam sandwich is, and everybody has their own opinions as to how much peanut butter and jam are needed to make a good sandwich. But also everyone whom has ever eaten a sandwich packed by mom can attest to, sometimes they have also gotten nothing but 2 slices of bread with so little peanut butter it doesn't even reach the edges and the jam is nothing but a colored stain on top. Technically still a pb&j but realistically that's beyond highly disappointing.

That's exactly what happens with Flight Sim and minimums. You'll get 5-20 fps at extreme low settings, barely enough to function. For most, thats considered unplayable, especially around major metropolitan areas like London or NY.

MFS 20 is very heavy on Ram and hard on a gpu. The 1050 barely cuts it, you'll by default want medium or lower settings there, but 16Gb of ram is a must, the maps demand it.

The stats given for min/recommended/ideal are wrong. They are 1 step below what's realistically a pb&j. Min should be ignored totally, recommended should be minimum, ideal is passable and a new column made for Good. High end Ryzen or Intel, 3070/5800xt or better, 64Gb ram or better. That's what it takes to get a pb&j to make the neighbors kid jealous.

Not trying to throw you infront of a bus, but for MFS 20, you need the absolute best/most you can justify spending on, squeaking by on minimums doesn't make a sandwich worth eating.

Mar 18, 2021
(y)

Hi Glorious, After looking at all advice given I have decided to go with your Advice, I would like to thank you very much for the work you put into sorting this out for me.
There is just one thing I would like to ask you about the Motherboard, As I have never replaced one before how is best to remember where all the lead plugs go from the old one into the new one ?

Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't. Because things on the new equipment can very well look a little different or be in different spots. Pc building is very much a Puzzle, take the cpu cooler for instance. It has a fan, so will have some place to plug the fan in. If you check the motherboard or look at the diagram in the manual, it might show the plug at the top middle of the board or south below the socket.

The same goes for drives, unless it's m.2, a regular ssd or hdd has power needs and data needs. Check the manual, usually data is in the SE quadrant.

Just don't rush things. No need. This is your pc, it's special to you. It's not just a hobby, it's a labor of love.

Anyone can throw a pc together in an hour or less. For most, that'd mean it looks like the hind end of a rabid dog. You have the time to make yourself proud of the build. Something you can say 'I did this'.

And there's always youtube. Plenty of building advice there.

But No#1 piece of advice, when in doubt, ask somebody. It's far better to be corrected or approved before you do something you are unclear on, than after.

Mar 18, 2021
Thanks very much for your sound advice Titan , very thoughtful of you .
Does this new board have a built in graphics card as I noticed there are 4 slots on it, if it does then do i remove the old graphics card ? I did say at the start of this thread i was a bit thick, i think this proves it.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, it does not have built in graphics.
At the front of your existing graphics card on the motherboard is a plastic hook, that's what holds the card in the slot. You'll need to push that (it can be a pain to reach with big chunky fingers like mine) after undoing the screws holding the gpu to the case and pulling out the power cables. The gpu will pull straight out with a little wiggling.

On the new motherboard, you'd pick the top slot, the longest one, aim the back in slightly first to clear the protruding ports and slide the metal tab inbetween the motherboard and back of the case. Then simply push the gpu into the slot, the plastic hook will click into place just like the ram does.

Once you see it, it's not a hard concept to figure out. You'll be ok.

Mar 18, 2021
No, it does not have built in graphics.
At the front of your existing graphics card on the motherboard is a plastic hook, that's what holds the card in the slot. You'll need to push that (it can be a pain to reach with big chunky fingers like mine) after undoing the screws holding the gpu to the case and pulling out the power cables. The gpu will pull straight out with a little wiggling.

On the new motherboard, you'd pick the top slot, the longest one, aim the back in slightly first to clear the protruding ports and slide the metal tab inbetween the motherboard and back of the case. Then simply push the gpu into the slot, the plastic hook will click into place just like the ram does.

Once you see it, it's not a hard concept to figure out. You'll be ok.
Thanks [U]Karadjgne[/U], I will try not to screw it up