[SOLVED] Upgrading advice on my setup to 1440p

Oct 29, 2019
I am currently gaming on 1080p 60hz and i am planning to upgrade to 1440p 144hz. Was/still am a noob at this kind of technical area. Currently have about 500usd for the setup and 500usd for a monitor! Any advice would help! This is currently my setup;
CASE: xigmatek frontliner with 3 120mm fan
Cpu and cpu cooler: ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
Motherboard: gigabyte a320m
Psu: Seasonic s bronze 2 520w 80 plus bronze
Gpu: gigabyte gtx 1060 windforce oc
Ram: corsair vengeance rgb 2 x 8 gb 3200mhz
Storage: 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd
Monitor: dell 60hz monitor

I am leaning towards just upgrading my gpu to a rx 5700xt and maybe my motherboard to a b450m. Is it viable? Also if i were to change to a rx 5700xt, will my psu be enough? I am also looking at the msi mag271cqr for the new monitor. Appreciate any help! Thank you!

Solution
Yes that's viable however even with the 5700xt you'll likely have to dial back graphical detail via triple A titles to match FPS with 1440p 144hz refresh rate. Also the slower single core performance of the 1600 may have issues matching FPS with the hew 144hz refresh rate panel as well. If you are an enthusiast that must match FPS with refresh rate on ultra graphical details, via triple A titles, my suggestion is to purchase at least a RTX 2080, then upgrade the processor from the 1600 when 4th gen comes out next year. This will provide a massive fps increase in performance. HOWEVER, if you're a casual gamer and obtaining 60-80 fps with a 5700xt upgrade only is acceptable, this is perfectly fine. Definitely take rgd1101's advice...
Yes that's viable however even with the 5700xt you'll likely have to dial back graphical detail via triple A titles to match FPS with 1440p 144hz refresh rate. Also the slower single core performance of the 1600 may have issues matching FPS with the hew 144hz refresh rate panel as well. If you are an enthusiast that must match FPS with refresh rate on ultra graphical details, via triple A titles, my suggestion is to purchase at least a RTX 2080, then upgrade the processor from the 1600 when 4th gen comes out next year. This will provide a massive fps increase in performance. HOWEVER, if you're a casual gamer and obtaining 60-80 fps with a 5700xt upgrade only is acceptable, this is perfectly fine. Definitely take rgd1101's advice an upgrade the power supply as well, because this will not only better support the 5700xt but future graphics card upgrades as well. The monitor is an investment and I always advise to get the best monitor you can afford (within reason, 4k not recommended), because upgrades will always be readily available when funds permit.

Reactions: ankei74u
Solution
27" 144Hz 1440p monitors run $300-$450

AMD 5700XT is a great 1440p GPU. And yes, this would probably require a better PSU. Something decent @ 650W should be plenty.

Although it's less than ideal (for adding more RAM) that your current mobo only has 2 RAM slots, changing your mobo won't improve the performance of your system in the slightest. Put your money toward a better CPU that's supported on your existing board (pretty much any after BIOS update, perhaps a Ryzen 3600). I'd do this after you do the GPU+PSU swap and have had time to test out that "drop-in" upgrade to see if performance is up to snuff. There's always better products or lower pricing on existing stuff the longer you wait.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
Yes that's viable however even with the 5700xt you'll likely have to dial back graphical detail via triple A titles to match FPS with 1440p 144hz refresh rate. Also the slower single core performance of the 1600 may have issues matching FPS with the hew 144hz refresh rate panel as well. If you are an enthusiast that must match FPS with refresh rate on ultra graphical details, via triple A titles, my suggestion is to purchase at least a RTX 2080, then upgrade the processor from the 1600 when 4th gen comes out next year. This will provide a massive fps increase in performance. HOWEVER, if you're a casual gamer and obtaining 60-80 fps with a 5700xt upgrade only is acceptable, this is perfectly fine. Definitely take rgd1101's advice an upgrade the power supply as well, because this will not only better support the 5700xt but future graphics card upgrades as well. The monitor is an investment and I always advise to get the best monitor you can afford (within reason, 4k not recommended), because upgrades will always be readily available when funds permit.
Firstly thank you for the advice! I dont really if i dont get like the full 100++ fps constantly or on some games because i know my cpu will bottleneck the rx 5700 xt. Was also planning to get a freesync monitor. The one that seems pretty decent for the price for me was the msi mag271cqr. Am not like an expert on monitors but i saw the reviews seems to be pretty good.