[SOLVED] Upgrading Advice - Which component am I failing to upgrade/overlooking?

Feb 3, 2019
I would describe myself as rookie when it comes to computer building: I've built 3 desktops and I've upgraded something close to 10 computers. However, I don't always choose the correct part to upgrade the first time around.

The user of one build is usually underwhelmed with the improvements that I make to the machine, so I wanted to get some advice on the next upgrade.

----
Here is the build currently:
----
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
CPU: Intel i5-7500
RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-17000 2133MHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 3GB, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan)
PSU: Corsair CX500W
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
Tower: Thermaltake Commander G41
----
The user thinks it needs a RAM upgrade to 16GB with a higher frequency.

I usually make budget builds, but I think this person has finer tastes. It's used mostly for gaming--to give examples: Darksouls 3, PUBG, and Rainbow Six Siege--however I'm not sure if the game, cant be played, isn't smooth enough, or if the computer is already good as is--considering it was built on a budget.

If you could provide me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. Let me know if you need more info.

Solution

Why waste your time and money going from 2133 to 2400? That's only a slight improvement when 3000 or 3200 can be had for only a little more cost.

Upgrading the memory is not necessary, but it can help gaming performance and would be beneficial in the next stage of upgrading the system. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403000,403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

Why waste your time and money going from 2133 to 2400? That's only a slight improvement when 3000 or 3200 can be had for only a little more cost.

Upgrading the memory is not necessary, but it can help gaming performance and would be beneficial in the next stage of upgrading the system. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403000,403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

Reactions: xy-bot
Solution
Feb 3, 2019

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes Volkgren, this is a currently working system (already built). Sorry for the confusion, I'm just miserly with cash when it comes to electronics.

I don't know which component would net the greatest improvement to the system. In my research, I found that 16GB of ram is becoming the optimal amount for gaming, so there's that. I also know that an SSD hastens loading times, but I don't want to reinstall windows. And of course, the GPU could be upgraded for higher fps, but I'm not sure if it's currently the weakest component.

I have no problem upping the frequency of the ram, thank you for the suggestion. I'll check out the list of ram you hyperlinked.

Am I correct in my understanding that the current processor should last a couple years or more?

Feb 3, 2019

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes Volkgren, this is a currently working system (already built). Sorry for the confusion, I'm just miserly with cash when it comes to electronics.

I don't know which component would net the greatest improvement to the system. In my research, I found that 16GB of ram is becoming the optimal amount for gaming, so there's that. I also know that an SSD hastens loading times, but I don't want to reinstall windows. And of course, the GPU could be upgraded for higher fps, but I'm not sure if it's currently the weakest component.

I have no problem upping the frequency of the ram, thank you for the suggestion. I'll check out the list of ram you hyperlinked.

Am I correct in my understanding that the current processor should last a couple years or more?

Well, maybe I'll create another thread for my last question. Thanks for the help.

I've figured out the user has a great deal of startup programs and runs multiple programs at once; therefore, ram seems like it's the best choice for an upgrade.

Cheers.