Upgrading AIO cooler on overclocked I9-7900x

Tanyac

Reputable
I have a kraken x62 which is not keeping my cpu cool even though the cpu has been delidded by silicon lottery, and the overclock is quite modest - 4.2ghz.

Looking at the thermal take water 3.0 ultimate 360mm I am a little confused. It has airflow of 99cfm, static pressure of 2.4 and fans that spin at 2000 rpm @ 20dBa and a 3600 RPM pump. This product has been discontinued in favor of the Floe

The Thermal take Floe 360m Premium has an airflow of only 42cfm, a static pressure of 1.54, fans that spin at a max 0f 1400 rpm and produce >24dBa of noise. This cooler is more expensive that the water 3.0 ultimate was, at least here.

This seems counter intuitive to me. My understanding was that higher airflow and static pressure was a good thing... And 20dBA from a fan spinning at 2000rpm was also better than 24dBa at 1400 rpm

What am I missing?

Tanyac

Reputable

vCore = 1.24v

If it made 2 degrees Celsius difference... I'd probably still go for it :)

I originally posted about open loop coolers, but I haven't had any useful replies yet.

So... a 280mm and 360mm will make minimal difference.

And a pump that runs at least 30% slower has less than half the airflow, and half the static pressure is as good as a cooler with more than double the airflow and double the static pressure??

Even though I passed physics in high school, I'm still struggling with that concept.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Where do you get the pump running 30% slower?
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00003122

Pump is the same, fan is different. Slower fan generate less airflow and less noise. It doesn't necessarily mean it is worse fan, the info you quoted on the older AIO fans were at FULL SPEED. Running at same 1400 rpm we do not know which one is better.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-floe-riing-rgb-360-tt-premium-edition,5315.html

If you want better cooling probably go for EVGA 280 CLC.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I personally tested the EVGA 240 CLC and it does better than the 280. It is a bit noisy at full speed, though. Good thing you can use the EVGA software to set custom fan curves (the review will be posted in the very near future).

Also, don't necessarily be fooled on 240, 280 and 360 radiator sizes being increasingly better when it comes to AIO coolers. There is more that goes into cooling delta than just the 'fan mount size' of a closed loop cooler.

If you want custom watercooling loop info, let me know. I wrote the sticky on the forums, here.

Tanyac

Reputable

I stand corrected.... I'm sure I saw somewhere that pump was 2400 on Floe... perhaps a review on some website..

Tanyac

Reputable

Definitely interested.

I don't know how successful I'd go with mounting a custom solution. I have a NZXT Phantom 820 case, and it's pretty full, with 3 Optical drives, an ASUS GTX 1080 Strix graphics card (long), 3 SATA drives, rear, front, side and bottom fans, and the X62 up top.

I'm open to a new case. But my preference is for white, and that limits my selection Substantially.