Upgrading AMD A10 6800k Cpu

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Hi, As the title says, I have a AMD A10 6800k Cpu and a motherboard with fm2+/fm2 socket type and my gpu is geforce gtx 980 and I want to upgrade my cpu so that It can better keep up with my graphics card.

Can I have some suggestions on what I should upgrade to? Thanks for the help! If you need more info feel free so ask.

Edit: So I guess my final question here is, can I even get a processor on this motherboard that can keep up with my graphics card and if not what are youre final suggestions on what combo of motherboard and processor should I buy

Solution

Theres definitely no good processors for your socket, your GTX 980 is way overpowered...

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

United states, and budget isnt a huge issue, I just want something that will keep up with my gpu and last me. So pretty much as long as its worth the money

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

Yeah, I made a mistake with my current cpu, but my gpu is a gtx 980 as I said in the title, and I'm not quite sure how much money these things are but I'd really like to avoid swapping motherboards if at all possible since thats a big hassle. However if there really isnt any good processors that I can get for my socket type I may consider buying one but again, id like to avoid it if possible.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Theres definitely no good processors for your socket, your GTX 980 is way overpowered for it.

Its definitely new motherboard time. You can get a motherboard, an i5, and memory for around $300, how is that price range?

Solution

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

300$ isnt too bad as long as My processor can keep up with my gpu for sure, and also is it difficult to replace motherboards? I havent done it before

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

the only problem im having fps with is games like black desert online and overwatch, and I play 1440p normally

i5 7500, B250 chipset-based motherboard, 16GB DDR4 2400 - ~$325.

EDIT: As Rogue Leader says, there's nothing for your current board. You'll likely have to reinstall Windows, but the hardware replacement itself should only take 15-30 minutes.

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

And it shouldnt be too hard to do the replacing? and will I need a new psu? My current one is 550 watts

A new i5 will draw half the power of your current CPU, and be twice as fast. If your current power supply is doing the job now, it'll be fine after the upgrade.

That said, the build quality of the unit is a lot more important than the rated watts.

That depends which power supply make and model it is, the wattage is less than half the story needed to tell.

With that being said, this should do the job:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $360.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-22 18:25 EDT-0400

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

What is the memory for? Do you always need new memory after getting a new motherboard?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So basically spend $400 on a processor alone (unless you buy used) to buy into an outdated platform, just to keep the old memory? Thats a bad idea.

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

so i guess now I'm just wondering what my best choices are for the motherboard and cpu (memory too) so I have more choices to look through thanks for all the responses

My opinion, the only options that make any sense are AMD's AM4 platform with a Ryzen 1500X or 1600, or an Intel i5 or i7 7xxx on socket 1151. There are no lower-end Ryzen CPUs out yet and the next step down from an i5 on the Intel side won't be a huge upgrade for you.

zjfrost

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

wait, does that mean i'll have to reinstall everything?

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
The Haswell processor costs $339 and the Broadwell processor costs $369.

Not really a bad idea. Also, the Z270 platform will get outdated soon, and the Z97 platform is modern enough. :/

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Except it won't, and its not, and the cost is worse. All signs point to 1151 being used for the next generation as well (coffee lake) so no Z270 won't be outdated anytime soon and its ridiculous you could even call Z97 modern enough and criticize Z270 like that in the same sentence. Aside from getting harder to come by Z97 boards don't always have support for M.2 slots at full speed, usb 3.1, DDR4, and any number of other things (for example newegg only has 2 boards with USB 3.1, neither has an M.2 slot with NVME support, aside from the far faster levels of DDR4 available over DDR3 if that is your thing). Checking both Newegg and Amazon the 5775C processor is $420 and the 4790k is $369. You can get a 6700k that can outperform both of them for $300 right now, and while yes he needs new memory the price difference makes that loss minimal, aside from using a brand new platform that supports all the newest features.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not saying the socket will be outdated, the platform would. There are new features coming every year, and Intel just doesn't give its platforms a long life.

Since the person already has DDR3 ram, he has the option to opt for a Haswell or a Broadwell processor. While it's true the 6700K/7700K outperform both the 5775C and the 4790K on average, they two last processors are still pretty good, especially the Broadwell CPU.

You're just looking at prices on Newegg. Anyhow, the choice is up to them.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I know what you are saying, in the same sentence you said that Z270 will soon be outdated you said Z97 is modern enough, its nearly a contradiction. Yes I know they have new features every year, but the guy is US based and the two largest retailers sell the processors you suggested for significantly more than their newer faster counterparts. His concern is needing to buy memory, clearly financial, So he could pay just as much money (maybe a few dollars less) and get an older slower platform and processors, or buy a brand new platform and new memory. The cost is nearly the same. And a few years down the line if he wants to upgrade to something else, He will have DDR4 memory he can probably re-use (DDR5 is projected for 2021 the earliest). Clinging to old memory on an old platform for what would net to a minimal amount of money and be useless at upgrade time is why its bad advice.