Question Upgrading AMD Athlon II 6x1100T Black Edition to Ryzen 2700x.

Feb 27, 2019
I'm starting to get anxious since buying all the parts for my massive upgrade, they will come tomorrow. I first built this in 2010:

AMD Athlon II x6 1100T BE
1600 MHz gskill ram 16GB (4x4GB)
Crosshair V formula z
Corsair H100 240mm cooler (bought in 2010 still works, kinda nervous though it's super old i'll be cleaning it all off from all the dust packed in there now)
(upgraded GPU recently) Gigabit 1070 ti
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 120 GB boot drive

upgrades:

Ryzen 2700x
x470 Taichi
G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

Am I going to feel this upgrade as massively as I'm hoping? I mean I get 2 more cores, it has threading, memory will be massively faster and I'm guessing all in all mobo should be fine.
I was getting 60 fps on witcher 3 with hairworks on as is, I'm assuming that my CPU was bottleneck. Also for productivity stuff, Adobe products run really slow on my current build like Adobe Premier, After Effects, Character Animator, Photoshop and Illustrator.

I'm just so nervous that I'm not going to feel like this costly upgrade gave me enough, the Athlon II x6 1100T BE has been a beast for me for so many years, after the 1070 ti upgrade it was completely revitalized. I feel really sad to retire her.

Also my friend wants to buy my used parts off me, if anyone could give me an idea what to sell them to him for or how to figure it out I'd love to hear it. Basically giving him this:
Crosshair V formula z
What do you think is fair?

Feb 27, 2019
Yes you will.

I had an 1100T overclocked to 4.0. It even bottlenecked a GTX 570 in BF1. I ended up giving it away to a friend.

Get ready for a whole new experience in gaming.

Hey what do you think would be a good monitor to upgrade to next? I'm thinking maybe 2k instead of 4k may be a better idea due to Bang for buck, plus 1070 ti doesn't keep up that great with 4k anyhow.

My old 1080p Asus is kind of withered, it's the same 10 years old age, doesn't seem as bright, viewing angles are pretty poor, 21" meh.

I'm thinking I need at least a 27", possibly 32" at 1444p

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Adobe favors single-thread performance, so Intel would have the slight edge if you were looking for the best 'performance'.
However you're looking at a huge leap forward from an 1100T to 2700X.

Taking the Witcher3 for example, a 2700X + 1070TI should be a ~60FPS Ultra preset 1440p setup.
At 1080p Ultra, you should be comfortable pushing >80FPS.

As for selling the hardware to a friend.... 4x4GB should be $40-$50 if sold separately. The 1100T doesn't have a lot of value, but still viable to some as a budget setup. I'd say $100 is fair for the setup, maybe $125.
Ultimately, it's only "worth" as much as someone is prepared to pay.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Adobe favors single-thread performance, so Intel would have the slight edge if you were looking for the best 'performance'.

Taking the Witcher3 for example, a 2700X + 1070TI should be a ~60FPS Ultra preset 1440p setup.

As for selling the hardware to a friend.... 4x4GB should be $40-$50 if sold separately. The 1100T doesn't have a lot of value, but still viable to some as a budget setup. I'd say $100 is fair for the setup, maybe $125.

I actually just sold a lot of these parts on ebay.

I was able to get about $30 each pair of DDR3-1600 4gb DIMMS.

I got $100 for the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T CPU.

The motherboard was not as got, an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO I got $20 for it. Probably would get more for his.

Feb 27, 2019
Can anyone give me an idea on what to charge my friend?

Thanks!

I'm also throwing in my old GPU and a CD/DVD read/writer.

VGA POWERCOLOR AX6870 1GBD5

So I'm thinking I'll offer it at $200 since I did gift him my old laptop for free and he's going to get basically a fully built system with all he needs.

I think that's fair.

Feb 27, 2019
I currently have a 32" 144hz, Gsync @1440p.

It's awesome but personally if I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't go over 27" @1440 or 24" @1080.

You think the pixel density is a bit off at the 32" size? 27" should be good at 1440 then. I'll have a look around. Any specific considerations?

UGH!!! The thermal paste is going to be delayed a day, may have to cancel it and run to Fry's so I can build tomorrow! Grrrrrrr.....

If you are re-using your current CORSAIR Hydro H100 Series cooler with AMD Ryzen, then you will need a compatible AMD AM4 bracket .

If you have chosen a RAM kit listed on the ASRock x470 Taichi Qualified Vendor List (QVL) your RAM should work as rated speed, otherwise you might need to manually set the speed in the BIOS.

Depending of the type of productivity you do on Adobe apps, they could really benefit from 32GB of RAM.
I don't know if you track the RAM usage but those app are memory hogs.

You could get those parts use, for around $225.

mgallo848

Commendable
I felt that 32" should be more of a 4k size. The 1440 still looks great but not quite as well when it's at 27in.

I picked the ACER Predator because I got a killer deal on it at the time.

Personally I would look at a high-end ASUS or ACER monitor that fits your budget.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I actually just sold a lot of these parts on ebay.

I was able to get about $30 each pair of DDR3-1600 4gb DIMMS.

I got $100 for the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T CPU.

The motherboard was not as got, an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO I got $20 for it. Probably would get more for his.

Personally, I'd think ~$200 is a little much to sell it to a friend, but ultimately the onus is on the buyer to justify the spend.

No G.R.A.P.E.S.
I'm starting to get anxious since buying all the parts for my massive upgrade, they will come tomorrow. I first built this in 2010:

Crosshair V formula z
Corsair H100 240mm cooler (bought in 2010 still works, kinda nervous though it's super old i'll be cleaning it all off from all the dust packed in there now)
(upgraded GPU recently) Gigabit 1070 ti
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 120 GB boot drive

upgrades:

Ryzen 2700x
x470 Taichi
G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

Am I going to feel this upgrade as massively as I'm hoping? I mean I get 2 more cores, it has threading, memory will be massively faster and I'm guessing all in all mobo should be fine.
I was getting 60 fps on witcher 3 with hairworks on as is, I'm assuming that my CPU was bottleneck. Also for productivity stuff, Adobe products run really slow on my current build like Adobe Premier, After Effects, Character Animator, Photoshop and Illustrator.

I'm just so nervous that I'm not going to feel like this costly upgrade gave me enough, the Athlon II x6 1100T BE has been a beast for me for so many years, after the 1070 ti upgrade it was completely revitalized. I feel really sad to retire her.

Also my friend wants to buy my used parts off me, if anyone could give me an idea what to sell them to him for or how to figure it out I'd love to hear it. Basically giving him this:
Crosshair V formula z
What do you think is fair?

When you're gaming you can use MSI AB to monitor your CPU usage. Should ---------------------(1100T) have trouble keeping up with Usain Bolt(1070Ti) your CPU usage will be very high(90 to 100%). It's in those games that you will notice the biggest difference.

Upgrading to a Crucial MX500 is my recommendation for an SSD. The 1TB Samsung Evo is another option. You will notice a change with only that drive upgrade.

https://win10faq.com/move-your-windows-10-license-to-a-new-computer/ and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change can help you navigate through this change. You need to make sure that your license isn't still connected to the board, which is rare these days but still.

$250 max. He's painting himself into an old corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2019
When you're gaming you can use MSI AB to monitor your CPU usage. Should ------------------(1100T) have trouble keeping up with Usain Bolt(1070Ti) your CPU usage will be very high(90 to 100%). It's in those games that you will notice the biggest difference.

Upgrading to a Crucial MX500 is my recommendation for an SSD. The 1TB Samsung Evo is another option. You will notice a change with only that drive upgrade.

https://win10faq.com/move-your-windows-10-license-to-a-new-computer/ and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change can help you navigate through this change. You need to make sure that your license isn't still connected to the board, which is rare these days but still.

$250 max. He's painting himself into an old corner.

Oh, I'm going to pull an extra 250GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVME from my laptop to make the new boot drive, that'll be fast enough I think. Then I'll use the old SSD to keep some games on or just for loading up things for my Adobe cc stuff swapping back and forth between the bigger spinning HDD for when I'm actually working on things. I'll eventually get a big boy 1TB, but I pretty much shot my load on my current purchases for the moment (without my wife going ape $%)T

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm going to pull an extra 250GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVME from my laptop to make the new boot drive, that'll be fast enough I think. Then I'll use the old SSD to keep some games on or just for loading up things for my Adobe cc stuff swapping back and forth between the bigger spinning HDD for when I'm actually working on things. I'll eventually get a big boy 1TB, but I pretty much shot my load on my current purchases for the moment (without my wife going ape $%)T

And you will perform a clean install of 10. You know this but others may not.

Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, absolutely clean win 10 install. My windows license tied to my Microsoft live account / email ( think that's what it is ), so I think I should have no problem, actually just bought full copy of win 10 within last 6 months so shouldnt be an issue there.

Although I have read somewhere that massive changes like these can cause me to need to request a 1 time exception to transfer everything over for win 10. Will post if anything doesnt go smoothly this weekend!

Feb 27, 2019
Can anyone tell me how to mark this as solved? I feel bad, since this has been a great thread with current AMD 2700x info and I don't know how to mark as solved! Thanks!